Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
On Monday, May 18, Rockland County leaders and organizations hosted a special dedication ceremony for the Toni Morrison Society’s “Bench by the Road Project.” The Society, founded in 2006, has advanced its goal of "creating an outdoor museum of benches that marks important historical locations in the African diaspora in the United States and abroad." Fourteen benches have been installed around the globe.
The village of Nyack was named the 15th location for one of the prestigious benches honoring the memory of 19th century Nyack resident and one-time slave, Cynthia Hesdra. In 2010, a section of town was renamed Cynthia Hesdra Way. The bench will sit 400 yards from property that was owned by Ms. Hesdra from 1837 through 1859, the period when Underground Railroad activity was most intense. Nyack was considered the half-way point between Underground Railroad stops in Jersey City, New Jersey and Newburgh, New York.
The afternoon event began at Nyack Center where members of the Nyack College Chorale from the Rockland County and Manhattan campuses performed and were directed by 2015 Nyack alumnus Jamal Sarikoki. The Bachelor of Sacred Music major (picture above left) with his fellow vocalists led the procession to Memorial Park were the Nyack bench was dedicated.
Nobel Prize-and Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist Toni Morrison joined celebrants at the park and shared remarks.
Read more about this historic Nyack commemoration here.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>