Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
On Monday, May 18, Rockland County leaders and organizations hosted a special dedication ceremony for the Toni Morrison Society’s “Bench by the Road Project.” The Society, founded in 2006, has advanced its goal of "creating an outdoor museum of benches that marks important historical locations in the African diaspora in the United States and abroad." Fourteen benches have been installed around the globe.
The village of Nyack was named the 15th location for one of the prestigious benches honoring the memory of 19th century Nyack resident and one-time slave, Cynthia Hesdra. In 2010, a section of town was renamed Cynthia Hesdra Way. The bench will sit 400 yards from property that was owned by Ms. Hesdra from 1837 through 1859, the period when Underground Railroad activity was most intense. Nyack was considered the half-way point between Underground Railroad stops in Jersey City, New Jersey and Newburgh, New York.
The afternoon event began at Nyack Center where members of the Nyack College Chorale from the Rockland County and Manhattan campuses performed and were directed by 2015 Nyack alumnus Jamal Sarikoki. The Bachelor of Sacred Music major (picture above left) with his fellow vocalists led the procession to Memorial Park were the Nyack bench was dedicated.
Nobel Prize-and Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist Toni Morrison joined celebrants at the park and shared remarks.
Read more about this historic Nyack commemoration here.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>