Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
A major research paper, “Whole genome comparison of a large collection of mycobacteriophages reveals a continuum of phage genetic diversity,” based on work done in the SEA-PHAGES program was published in eLife, one of the premier science journals. More than 3000 authors (students and faculty) who contributed to various aspects of the project included 25 from Nyack.
As an associate member of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA) Nyack College students have participated in the HHMI SEA-PHAGES course for college students, who make real discoveries by doing research on viruses that infect bacteria, known as phage. This involvement offers students ownership of a project, the opportunity to publish, and contribute to the scientific community and the ability to measure progress.
Nyack College contributors to the project included the following faculty and students:
Dr. Jacqueline M. Washington, Dr. Peter J. Park and Nyack students, Lanese Henry, Patrick Abbazia Michelle Ahn, Emily Barner, Lydia Carlin, Darren Chew, Renee Curry, Thressa DaSilva, Bethany DeVault Zachary DeLong, Jake Hackel, Donyelle Harrigan, Matthew Kern, Deborah Kim, Christine Kline, Sarah Mam, Yolanda Morgan, Eddy Santos, Vincent Scuttaro, Jacqueline Simeon, Michael Teti, Vanessa V, Jessica Bryant, and Mitchell Woodford were contributing authors.
To read the article in its entirety, see file attachment.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>