Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
A major research paper, “Whole genome comparison of a large collection of mycobacteriophages reveals a continuum of phage genetic diversity,” based on work done in the SEA-PHAGES program was published in eLife, one of the premier science journals. More than 3000 authors (students and faculty) who contributed to various aspects of the project included 25 from Nyack.
As an associate member of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA) Nyack College students have participated in the HHMI SEA-PHAGES course for college students, who make real discoveries by doing research on viruses that infect bacteria, known as phage. This involvement offers students ownership of a project, the opportunity to publish, and contribute to the scientific community and the ability to measure progress.
Nyack College contributors to the project included the following faculty and students:
Dr. Jacqueline M. Washington, Dr. Peter J. Park and Nyack students, Lanese Henry, Patrick Abbazia Michelle Ahn, Emily Barner, Lydia Carlin, Darren Chew, Renee Curry, Thressa DaSilva, Bethany DeVault Zachary DeLong, Jake Hackel, Donyelle Harrigan, Matthew Kern, Deborah Kim, Christine Kline, Sarah Mam, Yolanda Morgan, Eddy Santos, Vincent Scuttaro, Jacqueline Simeon, Michael Teti, Vanessa V, Jessica Bryant, and Mitchell Woodford were contributing authors.
To read the article in its entirety, see file attachment.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>