Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
A major research paper, “Whole genome comparison of a large collection of mycobacteriophages reveals a continuum of phage genetic diversity,” based on work done in the SEA-PHAGES program was published in eLife, one of the premier science journals. More than 3000 authors (students and faculty) who contributed to various aspects of the project included 25 from Nyack.
As an associate member of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA) Nyack College students have participated in the HHMI SEA-PHAGES course for college students, who make real discoveries by doing research on viruses that infect bacteria, known as phage. This involvement offers students ownership of a project, the opportunity to publish, and contribute to the scientific community and the ability to measure progress.
Nyack College contributors to the project included the following faculty and students:
Dr. Jacqueline M. Washington, Dr. Peter J. Park and Nyack students, Lanese Henry, Patrick Abbazia Michelle Ahn, Emily Barner, Lydia Carlin, Darren Chew, Renee Curry, Thressa DaSilva, Bethany DeVault Zachary DeLong, Jake Hackel, Donyelle Harrigan, Matthew Kern, Deborah Kim, Christine Kline, Sarah Mam, Yolanda Morgan, Eddy Santos, Vincent Scuttaro, Jacqueline Simeon, Michael Teti, Vanessa V, Jessica Bryant, and Mitchell Woodford were contributing authors.
To read the article in its entirety, see file attachment.
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Browse Blog Archive>>