Celebrating the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have studied the Nyack Seaport dining room and smiled.
He would have seen that his decades of labor were not in vain. He would have enjoyed this visual of white, black, Jew and Gentile, men, women, and children gathering at the invitation of Nyack College to celebrate social justice.
Loyal friends of the college came—in spite of Sunday’s early morning icy road conditions and the afternoon threat of area flooding—to acknowledge local leaders whose life work mirror’s King’s heart for the “beloved community.”
King also would have applauded the diverse roster of Nyack’s 2015 Social Justice Award recipients. The honor was presented to John Murphy, Rockland County District 16 Legislator; Wilbur Aldridge, regional director of the Mid-Hudson Westchester NAACP; and the Holocaust Museum & Study Center. Special recognition for community service was given to Paulo Feteira and Chef Jose David Martinez, co-owners of UNION Restaurant in Haverstraw.
Pictured with Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary President Dr. Michael Scales and Community Relations Executive Director Earl Miller are (l-r, standing) Miller, Andrea Winograd (Holocaust Museum & Study Center), and Scales; (l-r seated): Paul Galan (Holocaust Museum & Study Center, Board Chair), Alan Moskin (World War II veteran and guest speaker), Mr. Murphy; and Mr. Aldridge.
- March 31: Finalists Compete in the Entrepreneurial Business Venture for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Dr. Fayne Frey, Keynote Speaker at Nyack's Student Research Conference
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Browse Blog Archive>>