Celebrating the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have studied the Nyack Seaport dining room and smiled.
He would have seen that his decades of labor were not in vain. He would have enjoyed this visual of white, black, Jew and Gentile, men, women, and children gathering at the invitation of Nyack College to celebrate social justice.
Loyal friends of the college came—in spite of Sunday’s early morning icy road conditions and the afternoon threat of area flooding—to acknowledge local leaders whose life work mirror’s King’s heart for the “beloved community.”
King also would have applauded the diverse roster of Nyack’s 2015 Social Justice Award recipients. The honor was presented to John Murphy, Rockland County District 16 Legislator; Wilbur Aldridge, regional director of the Mid-Hudson Westchester NAACP; and the Holocaust Museum & Study Center. Special recognition for community service was given to Paulo Feteira and Chef Jose David Martinez, co-owners of UNION Restaurant in Haverstraw.
Pictured with Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary President Dr. Michael Scales and Community Relations Executive Director Earl Miller are (l-r, standing) Miller, Andrea Winograd (Holocaust Museum & Study Center), and Scales; (l-r seated): Paul Galan (Holocaust Museum & Study Center, Board Chair), Alan Moskin (World War II veteran and guest speaker), Mr. Murphy; and Mr. Aldridge.
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>