RELEASE: Nyack's Social Justice Celebration Marks 10th Anniversary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nyack College Celebrates
the 10th Anniversary of Social Justice Day
M & T Bank is the Corporate Sponsor for Nyack's Remembrance of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nyack, NY—The campus community of Nyack College will gather with elected officials, community leaders, and Rockland County residents at Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack on Sunday, January 18 at 6:00 p.m. to celebrate a tradition that began a decade ago as a prelude to observing the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. Nyack’s Social Justice Celebration keeps alive Dr. King’s dream of the “beloved community.” A 5:30 p.m. reception for honorees will precede the dinner.
Social Justice Awards will be presented to the Honorable John Murphy (District 16 legislator). the longest serving elected official in the Rockland County Legislature; Wilbur Aldridge, regional director of the Mid-Hudson Westchester NAACP, and the Holocaust Museum & Study Center at Rockland Community College. Paulo Feteira and Jose David Martinez, co-owners of Union Restaurant in Haverstraw will also receive special recognition for the charitable work they have done in the community. In February 2014, for the sixth year, Union Restaurant was closed for regular business and a three-day event was hosted to feed families adversely impacted by economic hardship.
Nyack College's inaugural Social Justice Day event debuted in January 2006 and honored Rockland County Civil Rights Hall of Fame inductee and NAACP Nyack Branch president, Mrs. Frances Pratt and featured keynote speaker, Jane Elliot. Elliot is an internationally known diversity trainer and originator of the famous "blue eyes/brown eyes" exercise that categorizes participants as inferior or superior based solely upon the color of their eyes. Past recipients of the Social Justice Day Award have included elected officials of Rockland County, pastors, educators, local merchants, and community activists. The Martin Luther King Multi-Purpose Center, (http://mlkmpc.org) a nonprofit that offers educational, medical, cultural, social, and recreational programs to children, adults and elders and Leadership Rockland, Inc., a ten-month long program (www.leadershiprockland.org) for emerging and existing leaders in business, government and nonprofit sectors of the County have also been honored by the College.
The three sponsors for the event are M&T Bank (corporate); Orange & Rockland (multimedia); and Richard & Barbara Kohlhausen (entertainment).
Media will have an opportunity to interview the honorees at 5:00 p.m. prior to the reception and dinner. To arrange for photo ops or interviews, email Deborah.Walker@nyack.edu or phone 845.675.4430.
For more information about the event, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu or by phone at 845.675.4791.
ABOUT NYACK COLLEGE
Founded in 1882, Nyack College is a Christian liberal arts college and seminary with a residential campus in Nyack, NY along the Hudson River, a commuter campus in the heart of New York City and an extension site in Puerto Rico. One of the most diverse institutions of higher education in the nation, Nyack is committed to academic excellence, educating nearly 3,000 students through its undergraduate, graduate and seminary degree programs. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. To learn more, visit www.nyack.edu.
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- Browse Blog Archive>>