RELEASE: Nyack's Social Justice Celebration Marks 10th Anniversary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nyack College Celebrates
the 10th Anniversary of Social Justice Day
M & T Bank is the Corporate Sponsor for Nyack's Remembrance of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nyack, NY—The campus community of Nyack College will gather with elected officials, community leaders, and Rockland County residents at Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack on Sunday, January 18 at 6:00 p.m. to celebrate a tradition that began a decade ago as a prelude to observing the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. Nyack’s Social Justice Celebration keeps alive Dr. King’s dream of the “beloved community.” A 5:30 p.m. reception for honorees will precede the dinner.
Social Justice Awards will be presented to the Honorable John Murphy (District 16 legislator). the longest serving elected official in the Rockland County Legislature; Wilbur Aldridge, regional director of the Mid-Hudson Westchester NAACP, and the Holocaust Museum & Study Center at Rockland Community College. Paulo Feteira and Jose David Martinez, co-owners of Union Restaurant in Haverstraw will also receive special recognition for the charitable work they have done in the community. In February 2014, for the sixth year, Union Restaurant was closed for regular business and a three-day event was hosted to feed families adversely impacted by economic hardship.
Nyack College's inaugural Social Justice Day event debuted in January 2006 and honored Rockland County Civil Rights Hall of Fame inductee and NAACP Nyack Branch president, Mrs. Frances Pratt and featured keynote speaker, Jane Elliot. Elliot is an internationally known diversity trainer and originator of the famous "blue eyes/brown eyes" exercise that categorizes participants as inferior or superior based solely upon the color of their eyes. Past recipients of the Social Justice Day Award have included elected officials of Rockland County, pastors, educators, local merchants, and community activists. The Martin Luther King Multi-Purpose Center, (http://mlkmpc.org) a nonprofit that offers educational, medical, cultural, social, and recreational programs to children, adults and elders and Leadership Rockland, Inc., a ten-month long program (www.leadershiprockland.org) for emerging and existing leaders in business, government and nonprofit sectors of the County have also been honored by the College.
The three sponsors for the event are M&T Bank (corporate); Orange & Rockland (multimedia); and Richard & Barbara Kohlhausen (entertainment).
Media will have an opportunity to interview the honorees at 5:00 p.m. prior to the reception and dinner. To arrange for photo ops or interviews, email Deborah.Walker@nyack.edu or phone 845.675.4430.
For more information about the event, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu or by phone at 845.675.4791.
ABOUT NYACK COLLEGE
Founded in 1882, Nyack College is a Christian liberal arts college and seminary with a residential campus in Nyack, NY along the Hudson River, a commuter campus in the heart of New York City and an extension site in Puerto Rico. One of the most diverse institutions of higher education in the nation, Nyack is committed to academic excellence, educating nearly 3,000 students through its undergraduate, graduate and seminary degree programs. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. To learn more, visit www.nyack.edu.
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Save the DAte for Nyack's School of Music Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Browse Blog Archive>>