Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
Nyack Manhattan campus School of Music professors, Drs. Dana and Sue Talley along with Prof. Jhasoa Agosto, will be featured performers in a musical tribute to Nicholas of Myra at Union Theological Seminary on December 5 at 5:30 p.m., 3041 Broadway at 121st Street in Manhattan at the Sophia Institute’s Sixth Annual Conference on Healing, Reconciliation and Forgiveness in Eastern Orthodox Perspectives.
The musical selection was commissioned by the Rev. James McGuckin, a recent guest speaker at Nyack's Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins conference. Dr. Sue Talley shares that “Dr. McGuckin, is not only the Nielsen Professor of Early Church History at Union Theological Seminary, but a poet.” His translation of the selection is set to music composed by Mrs. Talley an accomplished pianist and dean of the Nyack NYC School of Music.
She adds, “Some people think of Nicholas of Myra as "Santa Claus" of fiction and fairy tale, but his dedication to the truth of Christ as eternally begotten of the Father was heroically courageous, as was his dedication to the poor women he ransomed from a life of slavery. He spoke out in defense of the truth at the peril of his life. He is ‘the real St. Nicholas’ who is worthy of remembrance.”
The performance will be recorded by the Sophia Institute and subsequently broadcast throughout Europe.
For more information about the one day conference, click here.
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>