Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
Nyack Manhattan campus School of Music professors, Drs. Dana and Sue Talley along with Prof. Jhasoa Agosto, will be featured performers in a musical tribute to Nicholas of Myra at Union Theological Seminary on December 5 at 5:30 p.m., 3041 Broadway at 121st Street in Manhattan at the Sophia Institute’s Sixth Annual Conference on Healing, Reconciliation and Forgiveness in Eastern Orthodox Perspectives.
The musical selection was commissioned by the Rev. James McGuckin, a recent guest speaker at Nyack's Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins conference. Dr. Sue Talley shares that “Dr. McGuckin, is not only the Nielsen Professor of Early Church History at Union Theological Seminary, but a poet.” His translation of the selection is set to music composed by Mrs. Talley an accomplished pianist and dean of the Nyack NYC School of Music.
She adds, “Some people think of Nicholas of Myra as "Santa Claus" of fiction and fairy tale, but his dedication to the truth of Christ as eternally begotten of the Father was heroically courageous, as was his dedication to the poor women he ransomed from a life of slavery. He spoke out in defense of the truth at the peril of his life. He is ‘the real St. Nicholas’ who is worthy of remembrance.”
The performance will be recorded by the Sophia Institute and subsequently broadcast throughout Europe.
For more information about the one day conference, click here.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>