Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
Nyack Manhattan campus School of Music professors, Drs. Dana and Sue Talley along with Prof. Jhasoa Agosto, will be featured performers in a musical tribute to Nicholas of Myra at Union Theological Seminary on December 5 at 5:30 p.m., 3041 Broadway at 121st Street in Manhattan at the Sophia Institute’s Sixth Annual Conference on Healing, Reconciliation and Forgiveness in Eastern Orthodox Perspectives.
The musical selection was commissioned by the Rev. James McGuckin, a recent guest speaker at Nyack's Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins conference. Dr. Sue Talley shares that “Dr. McGuckin, is not only the Nielsen Professor of Early Church History at Union Theological Seminary, but a poet.” His translation of the selection is set to music composed by Mrs. Talley an accomplished pianist and dean of the Nyack NYC School of Music.
She adds, “Some people think of Nicholas of Myra as "Santa Claus" of fiction and fairy tale, but his dedication to the truth of Christ as eternally begotten of the Father was heroically courageous, as was his dedication to the poor women he ransomed from a life of slavery. He spoke out in defense of the truth at the peril of his life. He is ‘the real St. Nicholas’ who is worthy of remembrance.”
The performance will be recorded by the Sophia Institute and subsequently broadcast throughout Europe.
For more information about the one day conference, click here.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>