Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
Nyack Manhattan campus School of Music professors, Drs. Dana and Sue Talley along with Prof. Jhasoa Agosto, will be featured performers in a musical tribute to Nicholas of Myra at Union Theological Seminary on December 5 at 5:30 p.m., 3041 Broadway at 121st Street in Manhattan at the Sophia Institute’s Sixth Annual Conference on Healing, Reconciliation and Forgiveness in Eastern Orthodox Perspectives.
The musical selection was commissioned by the Rev. James McGuckin, a recent guest speaker at Nyack's Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins conference. Dr. Sue Talley shares that “Dr. McGuckin, is not only the Nielsen Professor of Early Church History at Union Theological Seminary, but a poet.” His translation of the selection is set to music composed by Mrs. Talley an accomplished pianist and dean of the Nyack NYC School of Music.
She adds, “Some people think of Nicholas of Myra as "Santa Claus" of fiction and fairy tale, but his dedication to the truth of Christ as eternally begotten of the Father was heroically courageous, as was his dedication to the poor women he ransomed from a life of slavery. He spoke out in defense of the truth at the peril of his life. He is ‘the real St. Nicholas’ who is worthy of remembrance.”
The performance will be recorded by the Sophia Institute and subsequently broadcast throughout Europe.
For more information about the one day conference, click here.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>