Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
As the anniversary of the death of Nelson Mandela, former president of South Africa (1994-1999) approaches, the Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement hosted a celebration of Mandela Day on Tuesday, December 2 in President’s Hall (Shuman Hall) on the Rockland County campus, 1 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY.
The film, Mandela, was screened at 3:00 pm followed by a panel discussion at 4:45 pm on the legacy of statesman, anti-apartheid activist, and philanthropist—Nelson Mandela. The panel was moderated by Prof. Scott Reitz, director of Global Service-Learning at Nyack. Presentations included:
Dr. Fernando Arzola, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences on “Pragmatic Prophet: Reflections on Mandela’s Quiet Faith
Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda, director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement on “Truth-telling and the Challenge of seeking justice after apartheid,”
Dr. Mayra Lopez-Humphreys, associate professor of social work, on “Madiba and Forgiveness and Reconciliation.”
For information about upcoming Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement events, click here or phone(845) 675-4582 or email Center_Scholarship@nyack.edu
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>