Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
Nyack College president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, welcomed participants in Leadership Rockland's Multicultural Community Day, which kicked off at the Nyack campus on Thursday, November 13. Earl Miller, Nyack's executive director of community relations, who served as lead coordinator of the daylong event for the fifth year was assisted by Prof. Nilda Aragones (Rockland Community College); Ms. Adrianne Garcia (Nyack College); Ms. Sheila Keenan (Pfizer Company); and Mr. Dustin Hausner (New York State Assembly).
Participants travelled to various sites around the County for presentations and panel discussions that gave valuable insight into the many facets and rich heritage of the County.
The day’s full agenda included the following:
Academic Roundtable Presentation
The Impact of Globalization on Community
Nyack College, Nyack, NY
Dr. Anita Underwood, dean of Nyack’s School of Business and Leadership
Prof. Miguel Sanchez, an instructor in Nyack’s criminal justice program
Dr. Martin Lecker, a Rockland Community College professor
Religious Community Leaders Discussion
The Islamic Center of Rockland, Valley Cottage, NY
Dr. Azeem Farooki, Islamic Center of Rockland
Rabbi Daniel Pernick, Beth Am Temple
Rev. Carl Johnson, Gracepoint Gospel Fellowship
Fr. Thomas Madden, St. Peter’s RCC
The Immigrant Migrant Communities
U Noodle Snack Bar, Haverstraw, NY
Hon. Alden Wolfe, Rockland County Legislature, chair
Sister Cecilia La Pietrin, One to One Literacy
Representatives of first generation Hispanic, European, and Haitian communities
Mr. Dwight Worley, Journal News reporter
Hon. John Murphy, Pearl River resident
Mr. Craig Long, Haverstraw resident
Ms. Kim Cross, Nyack Center director
Ms. Emily Dominquez, Village of Haverstraw trustee
Hon. Brendel Charles, Town of Ramapo/Spring Valley
Forum: Making a Difference/Getting Involved
CEJJES Cultural and Education Center, Pomona, NY
Dr. Edmond Gordon, CEJJES, founder
Mr. Mark Judelson, Rockland Arts Council
Mr. Willie Trotman, Spring Valley NAACP, president
Mr. Ram Nagubandi, Rockland commissioner of human rights
Mrs. Frances Pratt, Nyack NAACP, president
Mr. Juan Pablo Ramirez, immigration rights advocate
Mr. Steve White, Power of Ten website editor
Ms. Andrea Winograd, Holocaust Museum and Education Center
Leadership Rockland is a ten month long program that consists of 11 sessions that engage its participants to examine issues and seek solutions for involvement in the community. For information on how to apply to the program, click here.
- TODAY: Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Get Tickets for Nyack's Production of West Side Story!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Browse Blog Archive>>