Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
The Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) will host its Sixth Annual Nyack Scholar’s Symposium, “In Search of Global Sustainability.” The two-day event will be held on Wednesday, November 5 at the New York City campus, 2 Washington Street in Manhattan and on Thursday, November 6 at the Rockland County campus at 1 South Boulevard in Nyack.
The plenary speaker will be Dr. Kevin Danaher, a co-founder of Global Exchange (1988), co-founder of FairTradeUSA (1997), founder and executive co-producer of the Green Festivals (2001), and founding executive director of Friends of SF Environment (2012). Described by The New York Times as the “Paul Revere of globalization’s woes,” Dr. Danaher’s analytical expertise, sense of humor, and blunt eloquence make him an exceptionally dynamic speaker. He has written or edited 11 books and co-authored The Green Festival Reader: Fresh ideas from Agents of Change (PoliPoint Press, 2011) with Alisa Gravitz. With Shannon Biggs and Jason Mark he co-wrote Building the Green Economy: Success Stories from the Grassroots (PoliPoint Press, 2010). Dr. Danaher’s plenary address will address, “The merging of spirituality and science can save humanity form itself.”
CSGE director, Dr. Vilma Balmaceda says, “We anticipate that our moderators and responding panelists on both campuses will stimulate a dynamic scholarly dialogue. It is our hope that this event will continue to go beyond the boundaries of our campus community and grow our audiences to include the communities and neighbors near our New York campuses in Manhattan and in Rockland County."
The Symposium will also include breakout sessions featuring presentations from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary faculty and students.
Visit www.nyack.edu/csge for more Symposium details and upcoming events.
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Browse Blog Archive>>