Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
The Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) will host its Sixth Annual Nyack Scholar’s Symposium, “In Search of Global Sustainability.” The two-day event will be held on Wednesday, November 5 at the New York City campus, 2 Washington Street in Manhattan and on Thursday, November 6 at the Rockland County campus at 1 South Boulevard in Nyack.
The plenary speaker will be Dr. Kevin Danaher, a co-founder of Global Exchange (1988), co-founder of FairTradeUSA (1997), founder and executive co-producer of the Green Festivals (2001), and founding executive director of Friends of SF Environment (2012). Described by The New York Times as the “Paul Revere of globalization’s woes,” Dr. Danaher’s analytical expertise, sense of humor, and blunt eloquence make him an exceptionally dynamic speaker. He has written or edited 11 books and co-authored The Green Festival Reader: Fresh ideas from Agents of Change (PoliPoint Press, 2011) with Alisa Gravitz. With Shannon Biggs and Jason Mark he co-wrote Building the Green Economy: Success Stories from the Grassroots (PoliPoint Press, 2010). Dr. Danaher’s plenary address will address, “The merging of spirituality and science can save humanity form itself.”
CSGE director, Dr. Vilma Balmaceda says, “We anticipate that our moderators and responding panelists on both campuses will stimulate a dynamic scholarly dialogue. It is our hope that this event will continue to go beyond the boundaries of our campus community and grow our audiences to include the communities and neighbors near our New York campuses in Manhattan and in Rockland County."
The Symposium will also include breakout sessions featuring presentations from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary faculty and students.
Visit www.nyack.edu/csge for more Symposium details and upcoming events.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>