Steinway Piano Dedication With Steinway & Sons President Ron Losby and CD-60 Biographer James Barron
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Willa Shalit
Famous Steinway Concert Grand Takes Center Stage at Nyack College
This piano is a game-changing acquisition for Nyack’s School of Music
with a biography by New York Times reporter James Barron
New York, NY—The Nyack College School of Music will host a program to dedicate its new Steinway concert grand piano on Thursday, October 9 at 6:00 p.m. on the Manhattan campus in Battery Park located at 2 Washington Street.
This piano is no ordinary instrument; it’s well-traveled, and has finally found a permanent home. The evening will showcase the brilliance of internationally renowned pianist, Maestro Sergei Babayan. An exquisite trio performance of Nyack's artist-in-residence, Margrit Zimmerman; dean of the NYC campus School of Music, Dr. Sue Talley; and Dr. Tammy Lum, Rockland campus music professor will be another program highlight. Also in the spotlight will be Nyack alumna and mezzo-soprano Willana Mack, who performed on the 80th Academy Awards Show and in the Warner Brothers film, August Rush.
Steinway & Sons-Americas President, Ron Losby will be on hand to share remarks about the recent Nyack College acquisition. Says Losby, “We believe that all Steinway pianos have a unique story to tell, however this piano (the former CD-60) had its story told in an incredible way by New York Times reporter James Barron in his book, Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand. This handcrafted Steinway has a very distinguished provenance, and we are thrilled that it has found a permanent home in New York at such a great institution of higher learning.”
James Barron, who will also be among the celebrants applauding the arrival of “CD-60” to its new home, tells the piano’s captivating story from the dust of its timber frame to its emergence as CD-60. It is a magnificent member of “the 300 or so grands in the fleet of pianos” loaned by Steinway to venues “for concerts, recitals, recording sessions, and television programs.” This piano was the 565,700th Steinway produced. "I've followed that one piano from the factory in Queens where it was made, to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where it was a 'house' piano for concerts and recitals. Now it will be exciting to see the beginning of the next chapter in its life," shares Barron.
Acquiring CD-60 was the realization of a dream for Nyack College President Dr. Michael G. Scales. It’s an “exquisite instrument,” says Scales, “and it will enable us to communicate in a broad spectrum of genres—all in the universal language of music.”
The spotlight will be on the new Steinway during junior and senior recitals featuring piano performance students and as accompaniment for vocal student and faculty recitals.
Music major Gabriel Charles is also ecstatic about the new grand. He says, “As a piano performance major at Nyack College it is a great honor to be able to play such a wonderful instrument. This Steinway presents such an inspiration for me and motivates me to express myself through music on a higher level. I appreciate the honor and opportunity.”
Born in the Philippines and raised in a Muslim country where the opportunity for musical study was limited, Charmise Veraque moved to the United States in 2006 to pursue her education. She enrolled at Nyack after learning about the college through a friend of her mother’s. Charmise, who will perform her senior recital on the Steinway next spring, was influenced to change her major from music education to piano performance. “My Nyack experience has been amazing. I never saw myself as a performer, but Prof. Zimmerman has been a tremendous mentor who helped me find my way to the right decision.”
ABOUT NYACK COLLEGE
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. A.B. Simpson, a socially-conscious pastor and educator. Nyack currently serves more than 3,100 students in its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. More than 32,000 alumni of the college and its seminary serve in some 80 nations around the world. The College is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. Known for its diverse community where some 80 different faith traditions are represented and more than 60 different languages are spoken, in Nyack’s School of Music, the musical genres students study is equally diverse: classical, gospel, jazz, and Broadway.
ABOUT THE NYACK SCHOOL OF MUSIC
Nyack’s School of Music was accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) more than five decades ago and offers degree programs with concentrations in piano and vocal performance, sacred music, composition, and music education. The music faculty boasts national and international acclaim and many are alumni of such prestigious institutions as The Julliard School, The New England Conservatory, The Manhattan School of Music and The Eastman School of Music. These music educators are also performers who have graced concert halls and stages across the nation and abroad in China, France, Germany, Holland, Hong Kong, Italy, Korea, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, and Russia.
ABOUT STEINWAY & SONS
Since 1853 Steinway pianos have set an uncompromising standard for sound, touch, beauty and investment value. Steinway remains the choice of 9 out of 10 concert artists, and it is the preferred piano of countless musicians, professional and amateur, throughout the world. For more information, visit www.steinway.com.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>