9/11 Thirteen Years Later
Thirteen years have passed since September 11, 2001.
Still Manhattan and the nation recall that horrific day in American history.
The 8:46 a.m. hush in the city and a ceremony reading names of the deceased again took place today paying tribute to the lives lost at the hands of evil.
With Nyack’s New York City campus then located at 361 Broadway, the tragedy was too close for comfort, but it did not deter members of the campus community from offering prayer and comfort to the distraught and hopeless.
Nyack Rockland Campus Associate Dean of Students, Mrs. Wanda Velez, though not on the city campus that day, feels the ache even today as she recalls the loss of her dear friend, Manuel Del Valle, Jr., a 32-year-old, a seven-year New York Fire Department firefighter from Engine Company 5 on 14th Street.
She posted on her Facebook wall: “I was blessed to have him as a friend for many years. He always was so great to my family. We miss you Manny! Let's spread love bravely today as we remember the many we lost.”
Tonight Nyack’s city campus will observe a Convocation Service at the Broad Street Ballroom at 6:00 p.m. Administrators, faculty, staff, and students will gather at the 41 Broad Street venue to observe the annual tradition. This year for the Manhattan campus, convocation occurring on this date brings a dual reason for gathering together for reflection and tribute--remembering those gone but not forgottten.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>