9/11 Thirteen Years Later
Thirteen years have passed since September 11, 2001.
Still Manhattan and the nation recall that horrific day in American history.
The 8:46 a.m. hush in the city and a ceremony reading names of the deceased again took place today paying tribute to the lives lost at the hands of evil.
With Nyack’s New York City campus then located at 361 Broadway, the tragedy was too close for comfort, but it did not deter members of the campus community from offering prayer and comfort to the distraught and hopeless.
Nyack Rockland Campus Associate Dean of Students, Mrs. Wanda Velez, though not on the city campus that day, feels the ache even today as she recalls the loss of her dear friend, Manuel Del Valle, Jr., a 32-year-old, a seven-year New York Fire Department firefighter from Engine Company 5 on 14th Street.
She posted on her Facebook wall: “I was blessed to have him as a friend for many years. He always was so great to my family. We miss you Manny! Let's spread love bravely today as we remember the many we lost.”
Tonight Nyack’s city campus will observe a Convocation Service at the Broad Street Ballroom at 6:00 p.m. Administrators, faculty, staff, and students will gather at the 41 Broad Street venue to observe the annual tradition. This year for the Manhattan campus, convocation occurring on this date brings a dual reason for gathering together for reflection and tribute--remembering those gone but not forgottten.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>