HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (Arthur O. Eve HEOP) at Nyack College is a five-year grant program subsidized by the New York State Education Department.
For more than two decades, HEOP has been integral in helping to fulfill the commitment of the Nyack College Rockland campus to provide a means for traditionally underserved, low-income students to obtain admission, as well as academic and financial support, in their quest to earn a college degree. Nyack College boasts more than 2,000 HEOP graduates from the Rockland Nyack College campus.
In July 2014, Nyack College was funded another five years of HEOP grant subsidy at the Rockland campus and welcomed more than two dozen first-year students. Nyack College HEOP now distinguishes itself by being the only institution among HEOP-participating colleges in the entire state of New York to receive a second HEOP grant for a sister college site. The first HEOP class of students launched at the New York City campus with the 2014-2015 academic year.
The HEOP program is under the umbrella of Nyack’s Division of Student Success, led by Associate Dean Gwen Ames (pictured above with 2014 Nyack grads, twin brothers (l-r) Emmanuel and Gabriel Rojas).
The 2014-2019 HEOP funding includes a Math Success Initiative that will encourage complete math remediation by the beginning of the HEOP student’s second college year; to provide professional tutoring and departmental networking with college faculty to ensure success in required college level math courses.
Allocation of funds to support research partnerships between faculty and HEOP students in an effort to encourage strong research skills and graduate school admissions as well as preparation for the world of work. This initiative will be executed through partnership with Dr. Vilma Balmaceda, Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement.
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>