HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (Arthur O. Eve HEOP) at Nyack College is a five-year grant program subsidized by the New York State Education Department.
For more than two decades, HEOP has been integral in helping to fulfill the commitment of the Nyack College Rockland campus to provide a means for traditionally underserved, low-income students to obtain admission, as well as academic and financial support, in their quest to earn a college degree. Nyack College boasts more than 2,000 HEOP graduates from the Rockland Nyack College campus.
In July 2014, Nyack College was funded another five years of HEOP grant subsidy at the Rockland campus and welcomed more than two dozen first-year students. Nyack College HEOP now distinguishes itself by being the only institution among HEOP-participating colleges in the entire state of New York to receive a second HEOP grant for a sister college site. The first HEOP class of students launched at the New York City campus with the 2014-2015 academic year.
The HEOP program is under the umbrella of Nyack’s Division of Student Success, led by Associate Dean Gwen Ames (pictured above with 2014 Nyack grads, twin brothers (l-r) Emmanuel and Gabriel Rojas).
The 2014-2019 HEOP funding includes a Math Success Initiative that will encourage complete math remediation by the beginning of the HEOP student’s second college year; to provide professional tutoring and departmental networking with college faculty to ensure success in required college level math courses.
Allocation of funds to support research partnerships between faculty and HEOP students in an effort to encourage strong research skills and graduate school admissions as well as preparation for the world of work. This initiative will be executed through partnership with Dr. Vilma Balmaceda, Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement.
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Save the DAte for Nyack's School of Music Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Browse Blog Archive>>