HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (Arthur O. Eve HEOP) at Nyack College is a five-year grant program subsidized by the New York State Education Department.
For more than two decades, HEOP has been integral in helping to fulfill the commitment of the Nyack College Rockland campus to provide a means for traditionally underserved, low-income students to obtain admission, as well as academic and financial support, in their quest to earn a college degree. Nyack College boasts more than 2,000 HEOP graduates from the Rockland Nyack College campus.
In July 2014, Nyack College was funded another five years of HEOP grant subsidy at the Rockland campus and welcomed more than two dozen first-year students. Nyack College HEOP now distinguishes itself by being the only institution among HEOP-participating colleges in the entire state of New York to receive a second HEOP grant for a sister college site. The first HEOP class of students launched at the New York City campus with the 2014-2015 academic year.
The HEOP program is under the umbrella of Nyack’s Division of Student Success, led by Associate Dean Gwen Ames (pictured above with 2014 Nyack grads, twin brothers (l-r) Emmanuel and Gabriel Rojas).
The 2014-2019 HEOP funding includes a Math Success Initiative that will encourage complete math remediation by the beginning of the HEOP student’s second college year; to provide professional tutoring and departmental networking with college faculty to ensure success in required college level math courses.
Allocation of funds to support research partnerships between faculty and HEOP students in an effort to encourage strong research skills and graduate school admissions as well as preparation for the world of work. This initiative will be executed through partnership with Dr. Vilma Balmaceda, Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement.
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- March 29: The Amasi Trio in Concert
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- Browse Blog Archive>>