India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
Dr. Elizabeth Simon, dean of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing, joined her students for a two and a half week-trip to India in Delhi, Mumbai, Banglore, Trivandrum, and Idukki led by Ms. Rexi Thomas.
Once again Nyack students participated in a three-day clinical at Columbia Asia Hospital, a comprehensive specialty care facility offering high end services in multiple specialties. Six days were also spent at Trivandrum, Kerala KIMS hospital. Nyack’s School of Nursing sponsored a free medical clinic for tea plantation workers.
In Mumbai, the young men and women were involved in two outreach ministries, Vision Rescue, a non-profit charity involved in feeding, providing non-formal education, medical help, skills training and more to addicted and abused street children and Bombay Teen Challenge, an organization that works with youth ensnared in sex trafficking and substance abuse.
Says nursing student, Fabiola Moise, “The trip to India was an amazing experience and a real eye-opener to the Indian culture. From New Delhi to Kerala, there was so much to see and even more to take in. We were blessed enough to visit some of the most famous sites in New Delhi, India and to pray for the state of the country in each site we visited."
"In Mumbai, we were able to participate with organizations that work to better the country by addressing some of its most prominent issues such as sex-trafficking. In Bangalore, we had our first exposure to the healthcare system. The hospital was certainly not what I expected it to be. For the most part, the institution was very similar to those in the United States. We spent the most time in Kerala where we had further exposure to the healthcare system and the culture. This trip surpassed my expectations and I certainly would have regretted not going.”
In addition to the exceptional training and exposure the students experienced in India, attending the wedding of School of Nursing testing coordinator, Serene Varghese, was another high point of their journey.
Click here to see a gallery of India trip photos.
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Remembering Dr. Rexford Boda, President Emeritus (1933-2017)
- Browse Blog Archive>>