India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
Dr. Elizabeth Simon, dean of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing, joined her students for a two and a half week-trip to India in Delhi, Mumbai, Banglore, Trivandrum, and Idukki led by Ms. Rexi Thomas.
Once again Nyack students participated in a three-day clinical at Columbia Asia Hospital, a comprehensive specialty care facility offering high end services in multiple specialties. Six days were also spent at Trivandrum, Kerala KIMS hospital. Nyack’s School of Nursing sponsored a free medical clinic for tea plantation workers.
In Mumbai, the young men and women were involved in two outreach ministries, Vision Rescue, a non-profit charity involved in feeding, providing non-formal education, medical help, skills training and more to addicted and abused street children and Bombay Teen Challenge, an organization that works with youth ensnared in sex trafficking and substance abuse.
Says nursing student, Fabiola Moise, “The trip to India was an amazing experience and a real eye-opener to the Indian culture. From New Delhi to Kerala, there was so much to see and even more to take in. We were blessed enough to visit some of the most famous sites in New Delhi, India and to pray for the state of the country in each site we visited."
"In Mumbai, we were able to participate with organizations that work to better the country by addressing some of its most prominent issues such as sex-trafficking. In Bangalore, we had our first exposure to the healthcare system. The hospital was certainly not what I expected it to be. For the most part, the institution was very similar to those in the United States. We spent the most time in Kerala where we had further exposure to the healthcare system and the culture. This trip surpassed my expectations and I certainly would have regretted not going.”
In addition to the exceptional training and exposure the students experienced in India, attending the wedding of School of Nursing testing coordinator, Serene Varghese, was another high point of their journey.
Click here to see a gallery of India trip photos.
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- Browse Blog Archive>>