India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
Dr. Elizabeth Simon, dean of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing, joined her students for a two and a half week-trip to India in Delhi, Mumbai, Banglore, Trivandrum, and Idukki led by Ms. Rexi Thomas.
Once again Nyack students participated in a three-day clinical at Columbia Asia Hospital, a comprehensive specialty care facility offering high end services in multiple specialties. Six days were also spent at Trivandrum, Kerala KIMS hospital. Nyack’s School of Nursing sponsored a free medical clinic for tea plantation workers.
In Mumbai, the young men and women were involved in two outreach ministries, Vision Rescue, a non-profit charity involved in feeding, providing non-formal education, medical help, skills training and more to addicted and abused street children and Bombay Teen Challenge, an organization that works with youth ensnared in sex trafficking and substance abuse.
Says nursing student, Fabiola Moise, “The trip to India was an amazing experience and a real eye-opener to the Indian culture. From New Delhi to Kerala, there was so much to see and even more to take in. We were blessed enough to visit some of the most famous sites in New Delhi, India and to pray for the state of the country in each site we visited."
"In Mumbai, we were able to participate with organizations that work to better the country by addressing some of its most prominent issues such as sex-trafficking. In Bangalore, we had our first exposure to the healthcare system. The hospital was certainly not what I expected it to be. For the most part, the institution was very similar to those in the United States. We spent the most time in Kerala where we had further exposure to the healthcare system and the culture. This trip surpassed my expectations and I certainly would have regretted not going.”
In addition to the exceptional training and exposure the students experienced in India, attending the wedding of School of Nursing testing coordinator, Serene Varghese, was another high point of their journey.
Click here to see a gallery of India trip photos.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Remembering Dr. Rexford Boda, President Emeritus (1933-2017)
- Dr. Marie White Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- Summertime Prayer
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Browse Blog Archive>>