India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
Dr. Elizabeth Simon, dean of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing, joined her students for a two and a half week-trip to India in Delhi, Mumbai, Banglore, Trivandrum, and Idukki led by Ms. Rexi Thomas.
Once again Nyack students participated in a three-day clinical at Columbia Asia Hospital, a comprehensive specialty care facility offering high end services in multiple specialties. Six days were also spent at Trivandrum, Kerala KIMS hospital. Nyack’s School of Nursing sponsored a free medical clinic for tea plantation workers.
In Mumbai, the young men and women were involved in two outreach ministries, Vision Rescue, a non-profit charity involved in feeding, providing non-formal education, medical help, skills training and more to addicted and abused street children and Bombay Teen Challenge, an organization that works with youth ensnared in sex trafficking and substance abuse.
Says nursing student, Fabiola Moise, “The trip to India was an amazing experience and a real eye-opener to the Indian culture. From New Delhi to Kerala, there was so much to see and even more to take in. We were blessed enough to visit some of the most famous sites in New Delhi, India and to pray for the state of the country in each site we visited."
"In Mumbai, we were able to participate with organizations that work to better the country by addressing some of its most prominent issues such as sex-trafficking. In Bangalore, we had our first exposure to the healthcare system. The hospital was certainly not what I expected it to be. For the most part, the institution was very similar to those in the United States. We spent the most time in Kerala where we had further exposure to the healthcare system and the culture. This trip surpassed my expectations and I certainly would have regretted not going.”
In addition to the exceptional training and exposure the students experienced in India, attending the wedding of School of Nursing testing coordinator, Serene Varghese, was another high point of their journey.
Click here to see a gallery of India trip photos.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>