India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
Dr. Elizabeth Simon, dean of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing, joined her students for a two and a half week-trip to India in Delhi, Mumbai, Banglore, Trivandrum, and Idukki led by Ms. Rexi Thomas.
Once again Nyack students participated in a three-day clinical at Columbia Asia Hospital, a comprehensive specialty care facility offering high end services in multiple specialties. Six days were also spent at Trivandrum, Kerala KIMS hospital. Nyack’s School of Nursing sponsored a free medical clinic for tea plantation workers.
In Mumbai, the young men and women were involved in two outreach ministries, Vision Rescue, a non-profit charity involved in feeding, providing non-formal education, medical help, skills training and more to addicted and abused street children and Bombay Teen Challenge, an organization that works with youth ensnared in sex trafficking and substance abuse.
Says nursing student, Fabiola Moise, “The trip to India was an amazing experience and a real eye-opener to the Indian culture. From New Delhi to Kerala, there was so much to see and even more to take in. We were blessed enough to visit some of the most famous sites in New Delhi, India and to pray for the state of the country in each site we visited."
"In Mumbai, we were able to participate with organizations that work to better the country by addressing some of its most prominent issues such as sex-trafficking. In Bangalore, we had our first exposure to the healthcare system. The hospital was certainly not what I expected it to be. For the most part, the institution was very similar to those in the United States. We spent the most time in Kerala where we had further exposure to the healthcare system and the culture. This trip surpassed my expectations and I certainly would have regretted not going.”
In addition to the exceptional training and exposure the students experienced in India, attending the wedding of School of Nursing testing coordinator, Serene Varghese, was another high point of their journey.
Click here to see a gallery of India trip photos.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>