Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
The Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (AJCO) graduate program and the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) at Nyack College will co-host a panel discussion featuring Dr. George Y. Kohler of Bar Ilan University, Dept. for Jewish Thought in Ramat Gan, Israel and Mr. Jeffrey García, Ph.D.c. of Nyack's College of Bible and Christian Ministry, on Wednesday, September 10 from noon until 2:00 p.m. at the Nyack New York City campus at 2 Washington Street in Manhattan, Room 2034. Their topic will be “Jewish and Christian perspectives on wealth and the responsibility for the poor.
Dr. Kohler completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Frankfurt and earned an MA and a Ph.D. in Jewish Thought from Ben Gurion University of the Negev. He is the author ofReading Maimonides’ Philosophy in 19th Century Germany, Vol. 15 of the Amsterdam Studies in Jewish Philosophy series, as well as several other books published in Germany.
Jeffrey García is a lecturer in Nyack's Bible Department and a Ph.D. candidate at New York University. A recipient of the NYU McCracken Fellowship, he is also a 2005 summa cum laudeNyack graduate. He has published most recently for the Biblical Archeology Society’s Bible History Daily, "Is Queen Tsadan to Be Identified with Queen Helena of Adiabene?” with Dr. R. Steven Notley (Director of Nyack’s AJCO program).
For more information on the September 10 event, contact the Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins office at 646.378.6148 or the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement office at 845.675.4582.
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>