Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
The Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (AJCO) graduate program and the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) at Nyack College will co-host a panel discussion featuring Dr. George Y. Kohler of Bar Ilan University, Dept. for Jewish Thought in Ramat Gan, Israel and Mr. Jeffrey García, Ph.D.c. of Nyack's College of Bible and Christian Ministry, on Wednesday, September 10 from noon until 2:00 p.m. at the Nyack New York City campus at 2 Washington Street in Manhattan, Room 2034. Their topic will be “Jewish and Christian perspectives on wealth and the responsibility for the poor.
Dr. Kohler completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Frankfurt and earned an MA and a Ph.D. in Jewish Thought from Ben Gurion University of the Negev. He is the author ofReading Maimonides’ Philosophy in 19th Century Germany, Vol. 15 of the Amsterdam Studies in Jewish Philosophy series, as well as several other books published in Germany.
Jeffrey García is a lecturer in Nyack's Bible Department and a Ph.D. candidate at New York University. A recipient of the NYU McCracken Fellowship, he is also a 2005 summa cum laudeNyack graduate. He has published most recently for the Biblical Archeology Society’s Bible History Daily, "Is Queen Tsadan to Be Identified with Queen Helena of Adiabene?” with Dr. R. Steven Notley (Director of Nyack’s AJCO program).
For more information on the September 10 event, contact the Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins office at 646.378.6148 or the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement office at 845.675.4582.
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- March 29: The Amasi Trio in Concert
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- Browse Blog Archive>>