2014 Global Engagement Lecture Features Director of REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine
2014 Global Engagement Lecture
Monday, August 25, 9:30-11:30 AM
Nyack College, Pardington Hall
45 South Boulevard, Nyack, NY
Dr. Sergiy Tymchenko will be the featured speaker for the 2014 Global Engagement Lecture sponsored by Nyack College’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement during the annual faculty retreat. Dr. Tymchenko will address the current situation in the Ukraine and its effects on Eastern Europe.
A citizen of the Ukraine, Dr. Tymchenko grew up in Kiev in a family that was a part of the underground Baptist church movement under the Soviet Union. He committed himself to the Lord when he was a student at the Moscow Power Engineering Institute. After being discipled by Navigator missionaries, he became involved in underground evangelism and discipleship networks. He began his ministry as pastor of a Baptist church in 1985 and later received an M.Div. from Denver Seminary and a Ph.D. from the London School of Theology.
He founded and directs REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine, which in partnership with Alliance Theological Seminary from 1996-2011, provided an education to evangelical leaders from Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, and Georgia. More than 100 of these leaders received their M.A. in Intercultural Studies through the Research, Education, and Light Center (REALIS) campus of ATS, which was the first fully accredited seminary in the post-Soviet states. From 2002-2006, REALIS offered education in clinical psychology to 25 Christian counselors in Ukraine and in 2006, it opened the first Christian counseling clinic in Ukraine.
Dr. Tymchenko co-founded the mission society "Light of the Gospel" (which was the first indigenous mission to post-Soviet states), the Association of Missionary Evangelical Churches of Ukraine, and the Center for Leadership Development. Dr. Tymchenko is also a member of the IFES International Executive Committee and the Lausanne-Orthodox Initiative Consultation Group.
Together with other evangelical, Ukrainian Orthodox, Greek Catholic, and Roman Catholic leaders, he was actively involved in providing Christian support to the Ukrainian people’s political protests in 2004 and 2013-2014, known, respectively, as the Orange Revolution and Euromaidan.
Dr. Tymchenko has taught at the National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Donetsk Christian University, the North Caucasus Bible Institute, and the Eastern-European Seminary for the Education of Leaders.
The local community is welcome to attend.
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Browse Blog Archive>>