The Nations Come to Us: Fukuyama Alliance Church Visits Nyack
Nyack College goes to the nations… and the nations come to us.
Recently a Japanese pastor with a half dozen members of his congregation came to gain a better understanding of the historical roots of The Christian and Missionary Alliance at Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS), the denomination’s flagship institution of higher education. Pastor Yoshi Ikuta was joined by Pastor Yoshifumi Ichimori, Mrs. Motoe Ogata, Mrs. Katsue Yasunaka, Mrs. Izumi Sakamoto and her twin teenage sons, Mr. Shinobu Sakamoto and Mr. Makoto Sakamoto.
In 1960 Rev. Ikuta, of the Fukuyama Alliance Church, was a seminary student of Drs. Richard Pease (former ATS dean) and his wife, Dr. Eleanor Pease, (former TESOL Department Chair and Department Head of Modern Languages and Linguistics) when the Peases were serving in Japan. Two decades later, Rev. Ikuta had the opportunity to visit ATS and attended classes at the seminary and the college. With deepened affection for the institution, Ikuta authored the Japanese translation of A.E. Thompson’s biography of Nyack and C&MA founder, Dr. A.B. Simpson.
Nyack Auxiliary Services director, Mrs. Michele Blanck, coordinated an itinerary that included visits with Dr. Frank Tuzi, department chair of World Languages and Linguistics; Dr. Ronald Walborn, dean of Alliance Theological Seminary; Rev. Charles Hammond, dean of students at the Manhattan campus; and Dr. Kwi Yun, chair of the Social Work department.
In addition to touring both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses, a private concert featuring the exquisite operatic performance of 1999 Nyack alumna, Mrs. Shereen Way, accompanied by pianist, Tom Hoetzl, concluded with a surprise when the seven Japanese guests reciprocated with a mini concert of their own including a moving rendition of “Jesus Loves Me.”
Click here to see a photo gallery of their visit. (Main post image by Abraham Koo)
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>