Alliance Theological Seminary Milestone: First Successful Dissertation Defense
Today, March 17, Rev. Gershwin Grant, the first Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) candidate successfully defended his dissertation, "Evaluating a Spiritually Formed Prayer Immersion Program for Members of the Conservative Baptist Church." This milestone event took place at the Rockland County campus of the seminary. Dr. Ronald Walborn, ATS dean, moderated the oral defense, which was overseen by Dr. Frank Chan, coordinator for D.Min. dissertations.
Pictured above are (l-r) Dr. Paul de Vries, Dr. Ronald Walborn, Rev. Gershwin Grant, Mrs. Cynthia Grant, Dr. Torrey Robinson, and Dr. Frank Chan.
Born in London, England, Gershwin Francis Emmanuel Grant and his family moved to New York City when he was just a teenager. While attending the New York Institute of Technology to earn a degree in architecture, he became a Christian. Five years into his career as an architect, he pursued a career change to ministry by studying evenings and weekends at the New York School of the Bible, Seminary of the East, and Alliance Theological Seminary, while still employed by WYS Design Architects.
Rev. Grant has served as pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Ossining, NY since 2003.
The dissertation committee included Dr. Paul de Vries, president of the New York Divinity School, who is also pastor of Immanuel Community Church in Manhattan and Dr. Torrey Robinson, pastor of First Baptist Church of Tarrytown.
Congratulations to Rev. and Mrs. Grant!
ABOUT THE DOCTOR OF MINISTRY PROGRAM AT ALLIANCE THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
The Doctor of Ministry is the first doctoral program offered at Nyack/ATS. The three year program has seven different cohorts in progress. More than 90 students are active in the program. Students range in age from 28 to 60+ years. They hail from more than 30 different countries and from more than 20 different denominations.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>