JUNE 5 UPDATE: Explosion at Nyack College Rockland Campus
Update June 5, 2013 4:15 PM
RE: Explosion At Sky Island Lodge,
Nyack College Rockland County Campus, June 4, 2013
As you can imagine, when an incident of this nature occurs, details will be reported with varying degrees of accuracy. This update is intended to address the many queries that have come to us.
Extent of damage. Structural engineers have already done a preliminary investigation of the building. It will be several weeks before a final determination can be made about the extent of the damage and strategy for repairs and renovation. The building will remain unoccupied until further notice.
Replacement space. Office space for staff and administrators who worked in the building has already been secured on campus. Office space for the faculty members who are off for the summer will be prepared over the next two months. Classes are not currently in session for traditional undergraduate students, who will begin the fall semester on Wednesday, September 4. Weekend and night students from the School of Business and Leadership who met in the facility will use other classrooms for the remainder of the summer.
Speculation About Fire. It was reported by some media outlets that there was a fire in Sky Island Lodge. While the explosion did set off the sprinkler system, the college is unaware of any fire and it does not appear that there is any damage as a result of fire in the building. The local Nyack Fire Department should be contacted to address any additional questions.
Nyack College contracts with ARAMARK for its maintenance and housekeeping services. Any questions concerning this incident can be addressed to Karen Cutler, ARAMARK’s director of communications.
Gratitude. The College administration would like to thank all local police, fire, and medical personnel from Nyack and surrounding Rockland County communities for their swift and thorough service. In addition, we would like to thank our alumni, local community and business leaders, and government officials, as well as campus representatives from other colleges and universities nationwide for their support and expressions of encouragement.
- Nyack Alumnus Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Tappan Zee Bridge Evening Travel Advisory May 18-22
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Gone Fishing...
- A Day of Master Classes and Music Clinics for High School Music Students from Michigan
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- Browse Blog Archive>>