JUNE 5 UPDATE: Explosion at Nyack College Rockland Campus
Update June 5, 2013 4:15 PM
RE: Explosion At Sky Island Lodge,
Nyack College Rockland County Campus, June 4, 2013
As you can imagine, when an incident of this nature occurs, details will be reported with varying degrees of accuracy. This update is intended to address the many queries that have come to us.
Extent of damage. Structural engineers have already done a preliminary investigation of the building. It will be several weeks before a final determination can be made about the extent of the damage and strategy for repairs and renovation. The building will remain unoccupied until further notice.
Replacement space. Office space for staff and administrators who worked in the building has already been secured on campus. Office space for the faculty members who are off for the summer will be prepared over the next two months. Classes are not currently in session for traditional undergraduate students, who will begin the fall semester on Wednesday, September 4. Weekend and night students from the School of Business and Leadership who met in the facility will use other classrooms for the remainder of the summer.
Speculation About Fire. It was reported by some media outlets that there was a fire in Sky Island Lodge. While the explosion did set off the sprinkler system, the college is unaware of any fire and it does not appear that there is any damage as a result of fire in the building. The local Nyack Fire Department should be contacted to address any additional questions.
Nyack College contracts with ARAMARK for its maintenance and housekeeping services. Any questions concerning this incident can be addressed to Karen Cutler, ARAMARK’s director of communications.
Gratitude. The College administration would like to thank all local police, fire, and medical personnel from Nyack and surrounding Rockland County communities for their swift and thorough service. In addition, we would like to thank our alumni, local community and business leaders, and government officials, as well as campus representatives from other colleges and universities nationwide for their support and expressions of encouragement.
- RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
- The Nations Come to Us: Fukuyama Alliance Church Visits Nyack
- Nyack's Welcome Mat for Hungary
- Nyack College Remembers the Late John Lawrence Seigenthaler
- Nyack College, A Partner Instructor School for Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
- Nyack College Venue for County Legislature's Forum
- Nyack Nursing Professor and Student Publish in Journal of Nursing
- Alliance World Fellowship Committee Meets at Nyack/ATS Rockland
- Is Nyack Affordable?
- JUNE 13 & 14: Steinway & Sons Sponsor Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College
- JUNE 11: Nyack's 2014 Golf Classic
- Nyack College Social Work Major Receives NPRDP Scholarship
- RELEASE: An Award-Winning 2013-2104 for Women Warriors
- Nyack's Dr. Steve Notley on Archaeological Survey in Israel
- Nyack Campus Community Remembers Ralph G. Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Browse Blog Archive>>