JUNE 5 UPDATE: Explosion at Nyack College Rockland Campus
Update June 5, 2013 4:15 PM
RE: Explosion At Sky Island Lodge,
Nyack College Rockland County Campus, June 4, 2013
As you can imagine, when an incident of this nature occurs, details will be reported with varying degrees of accuracy. This update is intended to address the many queries that have come to us.
Extent of damage. Structural engineers have already done a preliminary investigation of the building. It will be several weeks before a final determination can be made about the extent of the damage and strategy for repairs and renovation. The building will remain unoccupied until further notice.
Replacement space. Office space for staff and administrators who worked in the building has already been secured on campus. Office space for the faculty members who are off for the summer will be prepared over the next two months. Classes are not currently in session for traditional undergraduate students, who will begin the fall semester on Wednesday, September 4. Weekend and night students from the School of Business and Leadership who met in the facility will use other classrooms for the remainder of the summer.
Speculation About Fire. It was reported by some media outlets that there was a fire in Sky Island Lodge. While the explosion did set off the sprinkler system, the college is unaware of any fire and it does not appear that there is any damage as a result of fire in the building. The local Nyack Fire Department should be contacted to address any additional questions.
Nyack College contracts with ARAMARK for its maintenance and housekeeping services. Any questions concerning this incident can be addressed to Karen Cutler, ARAMARK’s director of communications.
Gratitude. The College administration would like to thank all local police, fire, and medical personnel from Nyack and surrounding Rockland County communities for their swift and thorough service. In addition, we would like to thank our alumni, local community and business leaders, and government officials, as well as campus representatives from other colleges and universities nationwide for their support and expressions of encouragement.
- Nyack Students Perform in Annual Music Marathon
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- Browse Blog Archive>>