JUNE 5 UPDATE: Explosion at Nyack College Rockland Campus
Update June 5, 2013 4:15 PM
RE: Explosion At Sky Island Lodge,
Nyack College Rockland County Campus, June 4, 2013
As you can imagine, when an incident of this nature occurs, details will be reported with varying degrees of accuracy. This update is intended to address the many queries that have come to us.
Extent of damage. Structural engineers have already done a preliminary investigation of the building. It will be several weeks before a final determination can be made about the extent of the damage and strategy for repairs and renovation. The building will remain unoccupied until further notice.
Replacement space. Office space for staff and administrators who worked in the building has already been secured on campus. Office space for the faculty members who are off for the summer will be prepared over the next two months. Classes are not currently in session for traditional undergraduate students, who will begin the fall semester on Wednesday, September 4. Weekend and night students from the School of Business and Leadership who met in the facility will use other classrooms for the remainder of the summer.
Speculation About Fire. It was reported by some media outlets that there was a fire in Sky Island Lodge. While the explosion did set off the sprinkler system, the college is unaware of any fire and it does not appear that there is any damage as a result of fire in the building. The local Nyack Fire Department should be contacted to address any additional questions.
Nyack College contracts with ARAMARK for its maintenance and housekeeping services. Any questions concerning this incident can be addressed to Karen Cutler, ARAMARK’s director of communications.
Gratitude. The College administration would like to thank all local police, fire, and medical personnel from Nyack and surrounding Rockland County communities for their swift and thorough service. In addition, we would like to thank our alumni, local community and business leaders, and government officials, as well as campus representatives from other colleges and universities nationwide for their support and expressions of encouragement.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>