JUNE 5 UPDATE: Explosion at Nyack College Rockland Campus
Update June 5, 2013 4:15 PM
RE: Explosion At Sky Island Lodge,
Nyack College Rockland County Campus, June 4, 2013
As you can imagine, when an incident of this nature occurs, details will be reported with varying degrees of accuracy. This update is intended to address the many queries that have come to us.
Extent of damage. Structural engineers have already done a preliminary investigation of the building. It will be several weeks before a final determination can be made about the extent of the damage and strategy for repairs and renovation. The building will remain unoccupied until further notice.
Replacement space. Office space for staff and administrators who worked in the building has already been secured on campus. Office space for the faculty members who are off for the summer will be prepared over the next two months. Classes are not currently in session for traditional undergraduate students, who will begin the fall semester on Wednesday, September 4. Weekend and night students from the School of Business and Leadership who met in the facility will use other classrooms for the remainder of the summer.
Speculation About Fire. It was reported by some media outlets that there was a fire in Sky Island Lodge. While the explosion did set off the sprinkler system, the college is unaware of any fire and it does not appear that there is any damage as a result of fire in the building. The local Nyack Fire Department should be contacted to address any additional questions.
Nyack College contracts with ARAMARK for its maintenance and housekeeping services. Any questions concerning this incident can be addressed to Karen Cutler, ARAMARK’s director of communications.
Gratitude. The College administration would like to thank all local police, fire, and medical personnel from Nyack and surrounding Rockland County communities for their swift and thorough service. In addition, we would like to thank our alumni, local community and business leaders, and government officials, as well as campus representatives from other colleges and universities nationwide for their support and expressions of encouragement.
- Brightnie Jones ('09) Moves on as a Top All-Star Vocalist on BET's Sunday Best
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- Brightnie Jones Back in BET's "Sunday Best" Vocal Competition
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Nyack's Moseley Field Turns Heliport for New York's Governor
- Nyack Softball Players Make CACC All-Academic Team
- Nyack College Students in National Masterworks Festival Chorus at Carnegie Hall
- New Major at Nyack: BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Rock-o-Nomix Team: You Voted! They Won!
- New York City Fish Count
- 2015 Empower Ceremony
- Browse Blog Archive>>