Celebrating the Legacy of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) and the Office of Community Relations with Rockland County’s Holocaust Museum and Study Center will present “The Dietrich Bonhoeffer Event at Nyack College on Monday, December 3, 185 South Highland Avenue in Nyack. This celebration of Bonhoeffer’s legacy of Christian scholarship, courage, and social concern will take place with several events in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus.
This daylong event was rescheduled due to the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
The agenda is as follows:
3:00 p.m. The Audio Experience. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room. This audio presentation will be facilitated by Ms. Lisa Stenchever, education director at the Holocaust Museum and Study Center in Spring Valley, NY (For more information on the Center, visit www.holocauststudies.org). Called “The Hiding,” the audio exhibit allows participants to “listen in” on the conversation of a family in hiding during the Holocaust.
4:00 p.m. Testimony of Mr. Alan Moskin, a World War II veteran and former commander of the Rockland/Orange District Council of the Jewish War Veterans will speak in Presidents Hall (also in Shuman Hall) Moskin was a part of General George Patton’s Third Army, a member of the 66th Infantry, 71st Division. In May 1945, his company helped liberate Gunskirchen concentration camp survivors.
5:00 p.m. The Audio Experience will be repeated. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room
6:00 p.m. Bonhoeffer, The Film followed by a panel discussion. Shot on location in Germany and the United States, this film features interviews with family members, friends, students, and associates who knew Bonhoeffer, the German theologian renowned for his stand against Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party, which ultimately cost him his life in a Nazi concentration camp.
Panelists are Dr. Ronald Belsterling, Nyack College professor of Youth and Family Studies; Mr. Jaime Castaner Weiss, Allliance Theological Seminary, M.Div candidate; Ms. Lisa Stenchever, Holocaust Museum and Study Center education director. The discussion will be moderated by Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director.
7:50 p.m. Interfaith Choir performance
For more information, phone Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement at 845.675.4582.
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Broken To Minister CD Launch Event at NYC Campus
- 15-City Promo Tour for Nyack NYC Campus Music Prof Damien Sneed
- Becker Professional Education Presentation
- FEBRUARY 23-24: Pianist Marcelo Liano in Concert at Nyack Rockland
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Kale Yu on "Earth in Mind"
- Denise Lewis Patrick, Award-Winning Author and Nyack Adjunct, Presents Connected Souls
- Nursing Alumni Return to Share Their Journey
- Nyack College Partners with the Luis Palau Association
- Nyack Reps at NY Student Aid Alliance Advocacy Day in Albany
- Damien Sneed, NYC Music Faculty, in PBS Documentary on Work by Wynton Marsalis
- Andrew White in Concert at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack AGSC Professor and Students Published in Journal
- Kathy Schwarz, First 2015 Nyack Critical Reads Presenter
- Nyack College Partners With the Luis Palau Evangelistic Association
- Browse Blog Archive>>