RELEASE: Dr. Michael G. Scales Begins Third Term As President
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NYACK, NY--Dr. Ronald E. Eastman, chairman of the Board of Trustees at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary recently announced that Dr. Michael G. Scales was re-elected to a third three-year term as the institution’s president.
“When Dr. Scales was elected the 12th president of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary six years ago,” said Dr. Eastman, “the search committee and full Board of Trustees were unanimous in our decision. Today we still concur that the accomplishments of the Scales administration have been extraordinary--and particularly in an age when stability in leadership is imperative for corporations and institutions not just to survive--but to thrive.”
In the past six years, there has been an impressive list of milestones. The first doctoral degree, (the Doctor of Ministry); new bachelor’s degrees in nursing, biology, and criminal justice; and full online undergraduate and graduate degrees in business and leadership have been added. Enhancing Nyack’s strong academic offerings, the school has received renewals of accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education with two special commendations (one for the president’s vision and leadership), from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, from the National Association of Schools of Music, from the Council for Social Work Education, and from the Association of Theological Schools. The Chronicle of Higher Education recognized Nyack as a “Great College to Work For.” This fall, in partnership with the local public school district, Nyack College will offer courses in Arabic and Mandarin Chinese at Nyack High School.
Dr. Scales is a board member of The Christian and Missionary Alliance Foundation, Inc. (Shell Point Retirement Community), the largest life care community in Florida. He served as board secretary for the New York State Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (CICU) board of trustees and has also served as chair and vice chair of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) Commission for Advancing Intercultural Competencies.
He was elected to the Presidents Council of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), a 15-member panel of university presidents from Division II schools that serves as the chief governing body for NCAA Division II athletics. On this chief governing body for NCAA Division II athletics, Dr. Scales serves as a Championships Committee Liaison.
The native of Gadsen, AL who earned a doctorate from the University of Georgia, has worked with 50 colleges and universities as a higher ed marketing consultant and was a former Nyack College vice president of enrollment and marketing.
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,300 students in its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to its residential campus in Nyack, NY and a commuter campus in New York City, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- March 5 Concert featuring Johnny Walsh Rescheduled for March 31
- Nyack College Student Research Conference March 26 on Rockland Campus
- Nyack...We're Here to Serve!
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Broken To Minister CD Launch Event at NYC Campus
- 15-City Promo Tour for Nyack NYC Campus Music Prof Damien Sneed
- Becker Professional Education Presentation
- FEBRUARY 23-24: Pianist Marcelo Liano in Concert at Nyack Rockland
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Kale Yu on "Earth in Mind"
- Denise Lewis Patrick, Award-Winning Author and Nyack Adjunct, Presents Connected Souls
- Nursing Alumni Return to Share Their Journey
- Nyack College Partners with the Luis Palau Association
- Nyack Reps at NY Student Aid Alliance Advocacy Day in Albany
- Damien Sneed, NYC Music Faculty, in PBS Documentary on Work by Wynton Marsalis
- Andrew White in Concert at Nyack College Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>