RELEASE: Dr. Michael G. Scales Begins Third Term As President
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NYACK, NY--Dr. Ronald E. Eastman, chairman of the Board of Trustees at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary recently announced that Dr. Michael G. Scales was re-elected to a third three-year term as the institution’s president.
“When Dr. Scales was elected the 12th president of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary six years ago,” said Dr. Eastman, “the search committee and full Board of Trustees were unanimous in our decision. Today we still concur that the accomplishments of the Scales administration have been extraordinary--and particularly in an age when stability in leadership is imperative for corporations and institutions not just to survive--but to thrive.”
In the past six years, there has been an impressive list of milestones. The first doctoral degree, (the Doctor of Ministry); new bachelor’s degrees in nursing, biology, and criminal justice; and full online undergraduate and graduate degrees in business and leadership have been added. Enhancing Nyack’s strong academic offerings, the school has received renewals of accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education with two special commendations (one for the president’s vision and leadership), from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, from the National Association of Schools of Music, from the Council for Social Work Education, and from the Association of Theological Schools. The Chronicle of Higher Education recognized Nyack as a “Great College to Work For.” This fall, in partnership with the local public school district, Nyack College will offer courses in Arabic and Mandarin Chinese at Nyack High School.
Dr. Scales is a board member of The Christian and Missionary Alliance Foundation, Inc. (Shell Point Retirement Community), the largest life care community in Florida. He served as board secretary for the New York State Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (CICU) board of trustees and has also served as chair and vice chair of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) Commission for Advancing Intercultural Competencies.
He was elected to the Presidents Council of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), a 15-member panel of university presidents from Division II schools that serves as the chief governing body for NCAA Division II athletics. On this chief governing body for NCAA Division II athletics, Dr. Scales serves as a Championships Committee Liaison.
The native of Gadsen, AL who earned a doctorate from the University of Georgia, has worked with 50 colleges and universities as a higher ed marketing consultant and was a former Nyack College vice president of enrollment and marketing.
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,300 students in its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to its residential campus in Nyack, NY and a commuter campus in New York City, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Isa Agape at Nyack College Rockland
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- Browse Blog Archive>>