Nyack Prof Lectures on The Transit of Venus
Nyack College physics professor, Dr. Michael Huster, was the featured lecturer yesterday at the Nyack Library in Rockland County, NY to discuss the planet Venus coming directly between the Sun and the Earth today. The next occurrence will be in the year 2117.
He explained why this event is rare, how it tells us the size of the universe, and how it relates to the search for life. Observation equipment was demonstrated.
Dr. Huster shares the following events and safe ways to experience this phenomenon.
How to Watch the Transit of Venus – June 5, 2012
1) Rockland Astronomy Club sponsoring an event at 5:00 p.m.
Bellvale Farms Creamery, 1390 Rt 17A, Warwick, NY 10990, (845) 988-1818
Directions: From Nyack:
Take 287 West to I-87 North. Exit 15A to New York 17 North about 7 miles. Take NY 17A West about eight miles to the Creamery
2) Amateur Astronomy Association of New York City (http://www.aaa.org/theclub)
Pier I - 70th St and Riverside Park South Dr., New York City, (Jason Kendall will be there with a laptop for a live broadcast.)
Live Internet Broadcast
http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/ - NASA webcast
http://www.exploratorium.edu/venus/ - Exploratorium
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/ - Astronomers Without Borders
2) American Museum of Natural History In New York City starting at 5:30 p.m.
Live broadcast from Mona Kea Hawaii. Included in museum admission fee.
- Storm Glautier Named CACC Rep to the National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- December 3 Amasi Trio Concert Rescheduled for Spring 2015
- DECEMBER 4: Trinity Church Wall Street Choir Series Features Nyack NYC Chorale
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- Fall Concerts at Nyack College
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Auditions for Spring 2015 Production of "The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon"
- OCTOBER 30: CSGE Colloquium Series on Environmental Sustainability
- NY Times Hails Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer (NC '65) as "The Malaria Fighter"
- Browse Blog Archive>>