Volleyball Team Serves Community in Monte Plata
Nyack’s women’s volleyball team and their coaches traveled during spring break to Monte Plata in the Dominican Republic for seven days with Share USA, a non-profit organization helping communities in need of medical or financial aid. Members of the Nyack team are Ericka Catalano, Amy Dorvick, Brianna Kane, Michelle Makela, Moon Masania, Amelia Moor, Sharon Ofori, Allyson Rola, Tawnie Savage, Debbie Schendel, Jenny Schaller, and Maria Shields. Coaches are Raquel and Bret Shaffer who were joined by Nyack sociology and criminal justice faculty member, Prof. Miquel Sanchez.
Photos and news of the team's outreach were provided by Ms. Alice Pearce, an RN and a vice president on the Board of Directors of Share USA, Inc. Ms. Pearce commented, "The team, coaches, and Prof. Sanchez were so amazing to work with!"
A number of projects were completed included cleaning and painting a computer classroom, a basketball court, a home for a local family, and the foundation around a playground. The height and weight of every student at the Eva Russell School was also recorded by the volunteers. Best of all, local children were treated to four days of volleyball clinics and lots of hugs and love from the Nyack athletes.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>