Volleyball Team Serves Community in Monte Plata
Nyack’s women’s volleyball team and their coaches traveled during spring break to Monte Plata in the Dominican Republic for seven days with Share USA, a non-profit organization helping communities in need of medical or financial aid. Members of the Nyack team are Ericka Catalano, Amy Dorvick, Brianna Kane, Michelle Makela, Moon Masania, Amelia Moor, Sharon Ofori, Allyson Rola, Tawnie Savage, Debbie Schendel, Jenny Schaller, and Maria Shields. Coaches are Raquel and Bret Shaffer who were joined by Nyack sociology and criminal justice faculty member, Prof. Miquel Sanchez.
Photos and news of the team's outreach were provided by Ms. Alice Pearce, an RN and a vice president on the Board of Directors of Share USA, Inc. Ms. Pearce commented, "The team, coaches, and Prof. Sanchez were so amazing to work with!"
A number of projects were completed included cleaning and painting a computer classroom, a basketball court, a home for a local family, and the foundation around a playground. The height and weight of every student at the Eva Russell School was also recorded by the volunteers. Best of all, local children were treated to four days of volleyball clinics and lots of hugs and love from the Nyack athletes.
- OCT 7: Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Browse Blog Archive>>