SWAT Training Day at Nyack
Nyack College Rockland was the scene of several crimes today—but they were all staged drills that brought some 25 members of the Rockland County Special Weapons and Tactics team (SWAT) to the campus for a day of training. Members of Nyack’s men’s and women’s basketball teams, who remained on campus during the winter break, were among the role players who served as the endangered, wounded, or fatalities in several scripted scenarios.
Last summer administrators reviewed its comprehensive emergency operations plan with key personnel. Demonstrating his support for Nyack’s commitment to campus safety, Village of South Nyack Police Chief Robert VanCura made himself available to speak to the campus employees for the orientation.
Always looking for suitable venues to conduct monthly SWAT training, Chief VanCura arranged with Mrs. Michele Blanck, Nyack’s Director of Auxiliary Services, to plan a time when students were off-campus to conduct the training.
Nyack’s sprawling campus with administrative buildings and dorms was a perfect setting to simulate the crises SWAT teams encounter. Rockland County law enforcement officers who oversaw the training are pictured above with Mrs. Blanck (l-r) Police Officer Brent Newbury, a former Rockland County PBA president; Sgt. James Sullivan, Orangetown Police Dept.; Lt. Andrew Esposito, Rockland County Sheriff’s Office; and Chief Robert VanCura, Police Chief of South Nyack.
The day concluded with a catered meal for the officers and students.
- TONIGHT! --Velocity Debuts at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Unearthing Magdala--Nyack College Conference for Interfaith Scholars
- RELEASE: Official Nyack Statement on Ebola
- October 17: Nyack's School of Social Work and Community Connections for Youth Release Report
- Steinway Piano Dedication With Steinway & Sons President Ron Losby and CD-60 Biographer James Barron
- Miovski and Mansfield Families Music Hall Dedicated at Nyack NYC Campus
- Official Nyack College Statement Regarding Unknown Man on Campus September 23
- Anti-Human Trafficking Art Exhibit with Susan Clinthorne and Sally Thielen at Nyack Rockland
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Browse Blog Archive>>