SWAT Training Day at Nyack
Nyack College Rockland was the scene of several crimes today—but they were all staged drills that brought some 25 members of the Rockland County Special Weapons and Tactics team (SWAT) to the campus for a day of training. Members of Nyack’s men’s and women’s basketball teams, who remained on campus during the winter break, were among the role players who served as the endangered, wounded, or fatalities in several scripted scenarios.
Last summer administrators reviewed its comprehensive emergency operations plan with key personnel. Demonstrating his support for Nyack’s commitment to campus safety, Village of South Nyack Police Chief Robert VanCura made himself available to speak to the campus employees for the orientation.
Always looking for suitable venues to conduct monthly SWAT training, Chief VanCura arranged with Mrs. Michele Blanck, Nyack’s Director of Auxiliary Services, to plan a time when students were off-campus to conduct the training.
Nyack’s sprawling campus with administrative buildings and dorms was a perfect setting to simulate the crises SWAT teams encounter. Rockland County law enforcement officers who oversaw the training are pictured above with Mrs. Blanck (l-r) Police Officer Brent Newbury, a former Rockland County PBA president; Sgt. James Sullivan, Orangetown Police Dept.; Lt. Andrew Esposito, Rockland County Sheriff’s Office; and Chief Robert VanCura, Police Chief of South Nyack.
The day concluded with a catered meal for the officers and students.
- Friday, May 29: Nyack Alumnus Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Nyack NYC Rock-o-Nomix Team: You Voted! They Won!
- Nyack College/ATS Empower 2015
- New York City Fish Count
- Tappan Zee Bridge Evening Travel Advisory May 18-22
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Gone Fishing...
- A Day of Master Classes and Music Clinics for High School Music Students from Michigan
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Browse Blog Archive>>