West Side Story Wows Audiences
After weeks and long hours of rehearsals—singing, dancing, acting—the Jets and the Sharks are about ready to rumble.
The Nyack College Drama Department will roll out the red carpet for its cast of West Side Story at the American Theatre of Actors, 314 West 54th Street (near 8th Avenue) in Manhattan presenting its premiere performance on Friday, December 2 at 8:00 p.m. Four additional evening shows take place on December 3, 8, 9, and 10; two matinees on December 4 and 11 at 2:00 p.m.
You do not want to miss this remarkable crew of Nyack students and faculty in the reprise the Jerome Robbins version of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet with Leonard Bernstein’s extraordinary music and Stephen Sondheim’s unforgettable lyrics, all presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI).
Get your tickets here today. If you already have purchased advance tickets, spread the word and invite family and friends!
NOTE: Don't take our word for it...how's this for a "two-thumbs-up" review?
"This cast, crew and set need to move from off-Broadway (although perfect for this production at the American Theatre of Actors) to a Broadway Theatre!!!
The tickets will quickly become sold out, once the public gets a glimpse of this talented, emotional and timely production of West Side Story.
My daughter Lisa and I went to reunite and reminisce with long-time friend David Turk. We were so taken by the production, I was still wiping my eyes when I left the Theatre. Under David's direction, his cast, crew, designers, co-directors, choreographer, Mary Gatchell and orchestra conducted by Darryl Jordan, created the most heartfelt production of West Side Story I have seen in decades. It brought back many personal and meaningful memories for me.
Go see it, while the tickets last !!! You will LOVE it! ♥♥♥" --Ginny Lee Davenport
Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
Isa (Couvertier) Agape, a 2002 Nyack College alumna will be interviewed on Monday, December 5 at 3:00 p.m. on Nyack's radio station, 88.7 FM. Station manager Brad Hickey invites you to tune in to the conversation and hear Isa's music.
An accomplished recording artist, Isa will be the featured musician for Spiritual Formation’s Worship & Prayer Night also in Pardington Hall on Monday, December 5 beginning at 8:00 p.m. You don’t want to miss this amazing psalmist share her gift!
Learn more about Isa and stay in touch with her here.
Telling the Nyack Story
The fall edition of Advance, the Council For Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) publication will include an adaptation of an essay, "The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers" by Nyack College Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Dr. David Turk. He will also contribute a chapter to a 2017 book entitled, Diversity Matters, co-authored by several CCCU leaders.
The CCCU held its wildly successful conference on diversity this past September on the Nyack New York City campus, gathering men and women from Christian institutions of higher education from across the country.
Goals of the conference were for participants to leave with “increased awareness of the complexity of diversity issues within the CCCU; theoretical frameworks and nomenclature for this work, theological foundation for this work, application, opportunities to connect with colleagues across the CCCU and to network with Diversity and Inclusion thought leaders, exposure to content addressing diversity and inclusion concerns in higher education.
Read Dr. Turk’s article here.
Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
Twenty-two students who completed Nyack’s Bachelor of Science in organizational management program at the Fishkill Correctional Facility recently received their diplomas.
Provost David Turk presented the graduates to President Michael G. Scales, who conferred degrees on the Nyack College Beacon Campus graduates, as their families and friends looked on this milestone moment. The ceremony included remarks from Executive Director of Hudson Link for Higher Education in Prison, Sean Pica, who is also a 2001 Nyack graduate of the Sing Sing Prison program.
Pictured at the ceremony are (l-r) alumnus Derrick Barnes; Hudson Link Executive Director Sean Pica; Corrections Officer Colleen Manning; keynote speaker Keith Bethel; instructor, Jamila Wright; President Michael Scales and Provost Dr. David. Turk
A message of gratitude from the Class of 2016 was printed in the commencement program: “We acknowledge that we are not owed anything and that this privilege provided to us is based on the belief that education offers empowerment for new beginnings.”
Photo credit: Babita Patel
Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
Dr. Elaine Chao, a 2008 recipient of an honorary Nyack College Doctor of Letters degree was named Secretary of Transportation by President-elect Donald Trump. Dr. Chao was also inducted into the Nyack President's Hall of Distinction.
Dr. Chao, the first Asian-American woman to serve in a United States Cabinet position, was the 24th Secretary of Labor under President George W. Bush from 2001 through 2009. She also served as Secretary of Transportation from 1989 to 1991 under President George H.W. Bush.
Our sincere congratulations are extended to Dr. Chao!
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- Browse Blog Archive>>