Nyack College Alumni News
Homegoing of Dr. Wade T. Coggins '45
Dr. Wade T. Coggins went home to be with the Lord on May 19, 2013.
He was born in Connecticut on December 12, 1924 and at the age of 13 or 14, realized the Lord was leading him to missionary work. Although his family attended the Methodist Church, Wade joined The Christian and Missionary Alliance in North Carolina which directed him to The Missionary Training Institute (now Nyack College). It was at Nyack where he met his wife, Jane Wells (NC '45). Together they graduated from The Missionary Training Institute in 1945 and were married in August of the same year.
The couple served in Colombia, South America where they taught in the Bible Training Institute preparing Colombians for ministry. While in Colombia, their only child, Robert Charles, was born. Due to Jane's medical problems, they returned to the United States where Wade took a pastorate in Knoxville, TN. He later accepted the position of assistant to the Executive Director of the Evangelical Foreign Missions Association (EFMA), now the Evangelical Fellowship of Missions Agencies in Washington, DC.
This position required a lot of writing as he served as the editor of Missionary News Service and helped found the Evangelical Missions Quarterly. He also co-edited a number of publications and wrote a study book entitled So That's What Missions is All About that was last published in 1975. Wade served as Executive Director of EFMA until 1990.
In 1997 Wade retired and he and Jane moved to Chapel Pointe. He served on various boards and, coordinated prayer services, and taught Bible. Jane passed away in April 2011. They had been married over 65-1/2 years.
Wade is survived by his son, two granddaughters, and one great-granddaughter.
- Rev. Gordon Scott '74
- Homegoing of Muriel Margaret Allinger '40
- Kevin Reece '03 - Wedding Announcement
- Raquel Sanchez Shaffer '03 Welcomes A Baby Boy
- Orlando Suazo '10 Weds Kristen Forsythe '13
- Robert F. Davis '66 and Patricia J. Davis '66
- Rev. Dr. Leo S. Thorn ('73) Received an Honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree
- Homegoing of Dr. William B. Marshall Jr. '46
- Homegoing of Dr. Wade T. Coggins '45
- Homegoing of Vivian Eunice Ellison '48
- Homegoing of June Watson Hunter '51
- Homegoing of Thelma Elaine McGarvey '50
- Homegoing of Rev. T. Robert Brewer '42
- Rebekah April Cockman '01 Weds Ward Reckart
- Homegoing of Rev. Joseph Mahady '57
- Browse Blog Archive>>