Nyack College Alumni News
Homegoing of Thelma Elaine McGarvey '50
Thelma "Elaine" McGarvey of Carlisle, PA, (Chapel Pointe at Carlisle) went home to be with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on March 12, 2013.
Elaine McGarvey was born in Spring Hope, North Carolina on August 22, 1921. She graduated from Edward Best High School in Youngsville, NC in 1940. Elaine attended a Baptist Church in Youngsville, NC during her high school years, where she accepted the Lord, Jesus Christ, as her personal Savior at the age of fourteen years old. After graduation from high school, she worked for the Bell Atlantic Telephone Company in Charleston, SC; Atlanta, GA; and also in Raleigh, NC. While working in Raleigh, NC, Elaine started attending the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church in Raleigh, NC where she was encouraged by the Pastor to attend the Missionary Training Institute, also known as Nyack College in Nyack, New York. Elaine attended and studied Bible during her four years at Nyack College, and she graduated from Nyack College in 1950. She met Ray McGarvey, while attending Nyack, and they were later married on May 10, 1951.
Ray and Elaine McGarvey served in the Pastorate of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church in Rocky Mount, North Carolina; Meridian, Mississippi; Beccaria, Coal Run, and Aliquippa, PA. Elaine loved missions; while not called to serve as a missionary on a foreign field, she was very much involved in supporting the work of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church.
Elaine was a woman of great faith and she was definitely a "Prayer Warrior" spending much time in prayer for her family and for those around her.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Ray Milton McGarvey (NC '50) in 2012.
- Rev. Gordon Scott '74
- Homegoing of Muriel Margaret Allinger '40
- Kevin Reece '03 - Wedding Announcement
- Raquel Sanchez Shaffer '03 Welcomes A Baby Boy
- Orlando Suazo '10 Weds Kristen Forsythe '13
- Robert F. Davis '66 and Patricia J. Davis '66
- Rev. Dr. Leo S. Thorn ('73) Received an Honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree
- Homegoing of Dr. William B. Marshall Jr. '46
- Homegoing of Dr. Wade T. Coggins '45
- Homegoing of Vivian Eunice Ellison '48
- Homegoing of June Watson Hunter '51
- Homegoing of Thelma Elaine McGarvey '50
- Homegoing of Rev. T. Robert Brewer '42
- Rebekah April Cockman '01 Weds Ward Reckart
- Homegoing of Rev. Joseph Mahady '57
- Browse Blog Archive>>