Homegoing of Mrs. Joyce Bailey (1922 - 2012)
Mrs. Joyce Wentz Bailey of South Nyack passed into the presence of her Lord and Savior on July 29, 2012. She was the daughter of the late Lloyd Wentz and Marie Moore Wentz. Mrs. Bailey was the wife of Dr. Thomas Bailey, Nyack College president (1975-1982) and Nyack College professor emeritus.
An 1946 alumna of Taylor University, it was at Taylor where she met her husband. The couple were married while he was serving as an officer during World War II. After the war, they settled briefly in New York City until her husband accepted a position as an Instructor at Nyack College. They moved to Nyack in 1947.
Joyce received her Master's Degree from Hunter College and accepted a position teaching in the Nyack Middle School. Later, she did further graduate work at New York University and began teaching at Nyack High School.
She was an active member of the Nyack Community Ambulance and served on its Board. She was also an active volunteer for the local branch of the American Red Cross, teaching CPR and First Aid and running blood drives. Joyce was an avid gardener and had a Nyack Village Community Garden for many years. She was active in the Rockland County Christian Women's Club. She loved sports, followed the Mets closely, bowled, and maintained a lifelong interest in tennis.
Joyce had a lovely alto singing voice and was part of a touring trio in churches throughout her college years. She traveled extensively in Europe while her husband served in the occupation Army and traveled in Asia after they retired.
She is survived by her husband of 68 years, Thomas P. Bailey, Sr., a son, Tom Bailey, Jr. and his wife, Sharon, all of South Nyack; a daughter, Ruth B. Cottle of New Jersey; a daughter, Deborah Bailey-Graff and her husband Kerry of Valley Cottage, NY; and a son, Michael G. Bailey, Esq and his wife, the Honorable Cynthia Bailey of Phoenix, AZ.
She loved and delighted in her grandchildren, Jonathan Cottle, Jason Cottle, Thomas Bailey III, Katharine Graff, Connor Graff, Alexander Graff, Annie Bailey, and Erin Bailey. She is also survived by five great-grandchildren.
She is also survived by her brother Eldon Wentz of Columbus, IN, and her step sisters and brothers, Margaret Benak, Carolyn Pethoud, Marilyn Skinner, Martha Ashba, David Davies, and Thomas Davies.
Please remember the Bailey family in your prayers.
- Rev. Gordon Scott '74
- Homegoing of Muriel Margaret Allinger '40
- Kevin Reece '03 - Wedding Announcement
- Raquel Sanchez Shaffer '03 Welcomes A Baby Boy
- Orlando Suazo '10 Weds Kristen Forsythe '13
- Robert F. Davis '66 and Patricia J. Davis '66
- Rev. Dr. Leo S. Thorn ('73) Received an Honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree
- Homegoing of Dr. William B. Marshall Jr. '46
- Homegoing of Dr. Wade T. Coggins '45
- Homegoing of Vivian Eunice Ellison '48
- Homegoing of June Watson Hunter '51
- Homegoing of Thelma Elaine McGarvey '50
- Homegoing of Rev. T. Robert Brewer '42
- Rebekah April Cockman '01 Weds Ward Reckart
- Homegoing of Rev. Joseph Mahady '57
- Homegoing of Rev. Sidney O. Harris '44
- Homegoing of Loren G. Ingram '59
- Shakeya Britton '12
- Mark Sasse '89
- Homegoing of Charles Droppa '38
- Homegoing of H. Robert Cowles '49
- Homegoing of Allen E. Bisbee '60
- Homegoing of Rev. John L. Stirzaker '41
- Alumni News - Shanna (O'Leary) Miller NC '02
- Alumni News - Dr. Mario O. Barrett NC '99
- Browse Blog Archive>>