School of Education News
Dr. Frank Tuzi Co-Publishes a Research Paper
Dr Frank Tuzi, Ph.D., Chair of the TESOL department, co-published a research paper with J.P. Loucky (2010) entitled “Comparing and Improving Foreign Language Learners’ Use of Online Glossing Programs” in the International Journal of Virtual and Personal Learning Environments (IJVPLE).
This study furthers research in three crucial related areas:
1) comparing various online glossing and vocabulary learning tools; 2) language teaching and learning using a more natural bilingualized approach to developing online reading skills in a second or foreign language; 3) comparing the relative level of enjoyment and effectiveness students experience when using various CALL programs. This paper applies recent insights into vocabulary learning behaviors and functions online and investigates whether teachers can help learners increase their use of online glosses to improve their vocabulary learning by giving them automatic mouse-over instant glosses versus optional, clickable, mechanical access. The authors compare Japanese college students’ actual use of three types of glossing when reading similar texts online.
For more information: http://www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Article.aspx?TitleId=48220
- Self-Regulation and the Common Core
- Laura Rodriguez, Former Deputy Chancellor of NYC Department of Education Speaks at the Urban Education Center
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- Browse Blog Archive>>