School of Education News
Visiting Scholar: Dr. Hefer Bembenutty
The Nyack College School of Education NYC students are still discussing a visit from educator, researcher, journal editor, and scholar, Dr. Hefer Bembenutty. Recently returning from a trip to speak at the University of Oslo, in Norway, Dr. Bembenutty introduced Nyack educational psychology students to social cognitive theories, specifically self-regulation and self-efficacy. He used the figures of Spiderman and Dr. Octopus as characters to demonstrate self-regulation and self-efficacy in practice.
Seniors were invited to a lunch with Dr. Bembenutty, Dr. White and Professor Velez. In a very relaxed atmosphere, Dr. Bembenutty shared his own educational experiences and the methods he utilized to navigate the very challenging arena of the English Language Learner in College and University settings. His philosophy of teaching and learning provided our seniors with realistic and valuable tools for present and future planning.
Dr. Bembenutty is an assistant professor in Educational Psychology at Queens College of The City University of New York in the Department of Secondary and Youth Services; He also serves as the department chair of the Assessment Committee. In addition to having many articles published in professional journals, he has most recently served as guest editor of the Journal of Advanced Academics. Additional information about his publications can be found at: http://www.heferbembenutty.com/news.html. Twice a year Dr, Bembenutty travels to the University of Michigan where he is a visiting scholar.
Lastly, Dr. Bembenutty has been supportive of the research studies conducted by the NYC Faculty. His guidance and input have assisted the department as we strive to become even stronger in our pursuit of research based scholarship. It was at his recommendation that Dr. White was invited to participate in a Scholarly Symposium at the American Educational Researchers Association in April of 2011.
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Rejuvenating First Departmental Chapel, Fall 2013
- The International Educator Website Provides Opportunities and Resources for Interested Teacher Candidates
- NYSTCE August 2013 Update and Important Information
- Important Announcement About Paper-Based Testing for Some NYSTCE Tests
- Rockland SOE Students Assemble 100 "Weekend Snack Packs" for Center for Food Action
- Eleisha Dickson, BS-MSEd Graduate, Receives Christian School Teaching Assignment
- Browse Blog Archive>>