School of Education News
Nyack College Education Students Serving in the Community
One to One Learning has become a blessing for students in the School of Education. Each Monday and Wednesday night education students greet Latino children, with dark glossy hair and big brown eyes, at the cabin door on the grounds of Marydell camp located in Nyack village.
These children’s ages range from three to fifteen and they come with both language and overall academic needs. The Nyack education students conduct a time of reading instruction followed by a craft and final group reading time. The goal of the program is to give the same rich instruction to the children that parents receive in the adult language tutoring program.
Presently over twelve teacher education students serve approximately 28 children from Rockland County. This partnership links Nyack College to the community of Nyack in a sound and meaningful way that embraces the servant leadership model espoused and modeled in the School of Education.
One to One is a natural fit for Nyack College students. In a recent One to One evening, after saying grace for the snack one little boy blurted out in delight, "I love God"! It is so good to work with an organization that allows us to share God’s love with the children through active instructional support and role modeling. On another note, the teens in the group are so intrigued by the lifestyle of the Christian college students that they are constantly asking about college life.
The Nyack College secondary education student volunteers plan to attend the teens’ sports games and invite the teens to campus for a day of classes and fellowship.
- Self-Regulation and the Common Core
- Laura Rodriguez, Former Deputy Chancellor of NYC Department of Education Speaks at the Urban Education Center
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- Browse Blog Archive>>