School of Education News
Nyack College 2010 Valedictorian Amanda Hankins, Early Childhood Teacher Education Major
We are so proud of Amanda Hankin’s tremendous accomplishment. As we delight in and celebrate Amanda, we reflect on her time in the School of Education.
Amanda was a dedicated, motivated, and responsible teacher candidate. Not only did she maintain an ‘A’ average throughout her time at Nyack College, but her coursework, planning and preparation for lessons and units, and field experience performance, were exceptional – often used as exemplars in courses for incoming teacher candidates. During her supervised classroom experiences, Amanda maintained a quiet but strong presence in the classroom; was comfortable and effective with lovingly guiding and directing children; and was able to create developmentally appropriate, highly responsive learning environments. Clearly she has an innate love for children and children love to be around her.
Amanda served as the early childhood education lab manager for three years. She was a tremendous support to faculty and students. Amanda also played a vital role in developing and launching the Early Childhood Educator’s Club – the Nyack College School of Education’s first professional club. She had the privilege of serving as the club’s first co-president. In both capacities, Amanda took initiative and carried out all of her responsibilities with excellence, integrity and enthusiasm.
Amanda is a genuinely caring person with a calm, sweet spirit. One of Amanda’s many impressive qualities is how teachable she is. She was always eager to learn, did not hesitate to seek counsel and advice, and was just as willing and able to give of herself to meet the needs of others. During her time at Nyack she demonstrated not only a commitment to education and to furthering her own knowledge base and professional development, but the ability to influence and impact those around her in positive and lasting ways.
Amanda’s deep faith in God and desire to serve Him is reflected in her quiet strength, humility, passion for teaching and in all she does. We have been blessed to have walked with Amanda on this teacher-preparation path, and anticipate a rich, promising and exciting journey ahead for her.
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Rejuvenating First Departmental Chapel, Fall 2013
- The International Educator Website Provides Opportunities and Resources for Interested Teacher Candidates
- NYSTCE August 2013 Update and Important Information
- Important Announcement About Paper-Based Testing for Some NYSTCE Tests
- Rockland SOE Students Assemble 100 "Weekend Snack Packs" for Center for Food Action
- Eleisha Dickson, BS-MSEd Graduate, Receives Christian School Teaching Assignment
- Browse Blog Archive>>