School of Education News
Department Chapel- Reaching To Meet The Needs of Haiti
Posted by Jamie.Lettre on Tuesday February 23, 2010
Departmental Chapels can sometimes be “all-about-us” in its focus upon present concerns related to programs and students. However, in January, outreach became the primary concern around the campus as each department took time to pray about the needs of the Haitian people and collect a love offering. Overall, $700.00 was collected for Haiti relief offering which was spear-headed by the School of Education.
As part of the larger picture of concern and giving for Haiti relief, the School of Education invited Pastor Al Taylor, an Alliance Theological Seminary student, to talk about his first response trip to Haiti. He encountered numerous Christian brothers and sisters who praised God despite death and despair encircling around them. He warned the education students that as time passes, the “warm fuzzies” about helping others begins to subside and that we start to forget about those in need. At the end of the service, it was apparent that School of Education students were moved by his appeal. Over $150.00 was raised for Haiti relief and several students inquired about future short term mission opportunities in Haiti. Pastor Taylor, accompanied by Heather Butcher, was introduced by one of our own students, Cherisse Harris, a sophomore childhood education major.
We as the School of Education are approaching God’s commands with serious corporate and personal introspection. The Lord admonishes us in I John 3:17, 18 that anyone who is blessed with some form of material possessions should reach out and give to others in need.
School of Education Homepage
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>