Urban Educators Professional Development Day Comes to the Manhattan Campus!
Urban Educators Professional Development Day
August 31, 2009
Host: Center for Urban Education
Nyack College School of Education
Childhood Education Department
Facilitators: Dr. Marie C. White
Professor Miriam Velez
Programs which strive to produce highly effective teachers are only as strong as the network which supports their students in the field. The Childhood Education Program has been fortunate to partner with professional schools which open their doors to our preservice teachers and give them an arena in which to practice their teaching skills in a real world context.
In April of 2009, the Childhood Education Department invited the administrators of its partner schools to an informal meeting where the discussion focused on the attributes of Urban Professional Teacher. As a follow-up to that event, the faculty of the Childhood Education Department began to plan a professional day for late summer. The network schools were invited to participate in workshops presented by Nyack College faculty with an array of expertise, focusing on the areas that our partners were most interested in developing for their teachers and school personnel.
On August 31st, the first Urban Educator’s Professional Development Day was held at the Nyack College Manhattan Campus. In attendance were teachers, administrator’s and staff from public, Christian and private schools representing all five boroughs. Dr. Scales, our president, greeted the attendees and encouraged them to continue their efforts in providing excellent education for the children of our city. Dr. JoAnn Looney, Dean of the School of Education, welcomed the attendees, thanking them for their devotion to our teacher education program in NYC.
Workshops were facilitated by New York City faculty and deans representing several areas of expertise:
Professor Adelaide Pabon Academic Success Center Faculty NYC
Professor Margaret Bowen ESL Department Head, NYC
Professor Miriam Velez Director of Student Teaching, NYC
Dr. JoAnn Looney Dean, School of Education
Dr. Sue Talley School of Music, NYC
Dr. Marie White Department Head, Childhood Education
Lewanda Miller NYC Childhood Education, Field Supervisor
Responses to the workshops were extremely positive. The administrators representing the schools in attendance have already contacted the NYC Department of Childhood Education to ask if similar events can be scheduled for the future.
- Winner of the 2015 Apple Award - Allie Van Hooker
- Self-Regulation and the Common Core
- Laura Rodriguez, Former Deputy Chancellor of NYC Department of Education Speaks at the Urban Education Center
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>