School of Education News
Change to the edTPA requirement
Posted by Diana.Nygard on Wednesday April 30, 2014
The New York State Board of Regents--as of yesterday--has made a short-term allowance for Initial Certification for those who fail the edTPA. If all other criteria for certification* are met, the person who has submitted and failed the edTPA may then take and pass the old ATS-W exam (instead of edTPA) before June 30, 2015 in order to receive an Initial Certificate.
Required for Initial Certification May 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015:
- Submission of application(s) for certificate(s) and application fee(s) in TEACH
- Passing the Academic Literacy Skills Test
- Passing the Educating All Students exam
- Passing the Content Specialty Test(s) for your subject area(s)
- Clearing fingerprint background check
- Completing the child abuse identification/prevention and Dignity of All Students Act workshop hours through EDU 247/EDG 547 Health Issues for Educators course
- Successfully completing our teacher preparation program with Nyack College's recommendation for certification (no lower than B- in student teaching and Senior Seminar required for recommendation)
- Submitting the edTPA from student teaching at edtpa.com.
- If you pass the edTPA and all of the above, you qualify for your Initial certification
- If you fail the edTPA but have already completed all of the above, you may then take and pass the Assessment of Teaching Skills--Written (ATS-W) in order to qualify for your Initial certification without an edTPA retake. You cannot bypass the edTPA by passing the ATS-W, you must first take and fail the edTPA to qualify for the alternative ATS-W. Remember to take the ATS-W by mid-May 2015 to have a passing score in time for the June deadline.
Required for Initial Certification July 1, 2015 and beyond:
Above items 1 through 7, plus 8. Pass the edTPA from student teaching at edtpa.com (no ATS-W alternative).
School of Education Homepage
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Browse Blog Archive>>