Urban Education Center in Manhattan Campus Hosts Roundtable with Dr. Vernard Gant
“[God] has raised up a generation of educators who reflect and represent His heart for His threatened and vulnerable little ones. They are the Davids of education who believe with all their hearts that the Lord can slay the giants that are taunting the children of God. They represent God’s C.A.U.S.E.:
(Vernard T. Gant, Director)
This acronym was the focal point on April 6, 2013, as professors Miriam Velez and Marie White of the Urban Education Center at the Manhattan campus of Nyack College served as host to an Education Roundtable. The event welcomed special speaker Dr. Vernard T. Gant, who serves as Director of Urban School Services of ACSI International as well as consultant to several committees concerned with the plight of the public school education. Among the invited guests were New York City principals, teachers, and administrators along with professionals from the field of counseling and charter school corporations. The afternoon session was reserved for Manhattan Campus School of Education alumni to meet with Dr. Gant and discuss how Christian urban school educators can support each other as people of faith addressing the educational plight of poor and disadvantaged children outside the Christian school setting.
In his presentation, Dr. Gant offered trends, anecdotes, and statistics to vividly illustrate the challenges of working with urban children and youth in public schools and the call of Christian teachers who choose to remain in public education. “These educators realize the transformative power of relationships and endeavor to bring the love of Christ that abides in them to bear upon the lives of the children entrusted to their care. They have at their disposal a specialized curriculum designed by God and modeled by Christ.”
The purpose of the Roundtable was to raise awareness of the need of urban youth and begin a conversation regarding resources available to Christian public school teachers, and to consider how Nyack College can support these efforts. The next steps will be outlined by Dr. Gant as he takes this message to other academic settings and returns to NYC in the summer to launch an initiative by networking with Christian School teachers in public schools supporting their retention.
Featured photograph shows participants in Education Roundtable event.
Photograph of Dr. Gant posted with his permission.
- Winner of the 2015 Apple Award - Allie Van Hooker
- Self-Regulation and the Common Core
- Laura Rodriguez, Former Deputy Chancellor of NYC Department of Education Speaks at the Urban Education Center
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Five Nyack Teacher Candidates Receive Scholar-Athlete Recognition by the CACC
- Early Childhood Education Students Enjoy Transitions Conference -- Common Core Kaleidoscope
- Relaxing Time Out for Worship at the Rockland Campus Ed Lab
- Bulletin Boards Teaching Math Concepts Energize the Halls of Hilltop School
- Literacy Integration Class Reads Cool Stories at Annual Rockland Read-in
- 2013 Teacher Certification Fees for School of Education Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>