School of Education News
Audrey King Accepted by Teach for America
Audrey King, a May 2013 School of Education graduate, is embarking on a new adventure through Teach for America this summer. She has been accepted into the Teach for America program and will be traveling to the Appalachian Mountains to begin her training and placement.
Teach for America is a highly-valued organization which equips and places teachers in very low socio-economic areas to teach young people who live there. Children being taught by this program’s new teachers are usually selected based on factors such as free lunch eligibility, low standardized test scores, and/or low reading level. Teacher candidates pass through a series of interviews in order to be accepted as candidates in the Teach for America program.
Audrey, who earns a BS in Adolescence Education with English, will head to eastern Kentucky for a week of acclimation, followed by a five-week training period in Mississippi. After training she will return to Kentucky where she goes on to the next stage of the process: visiting schools selected by the program which she can then apply to for her placement.
Some schools can be as big as 2000 students or as small as 20 students in a one-room schoolhouse. Teachers placed in the smaller schools in isolated areas may find themselves teaching several subjects outside their certification areas.
Audrey says, “I’m very excited about this, especially for the opportunity to teach right out of college. I feel so honored to be accepted into the program. Honestly, I’m a little nervous because I’ve never been to Kentucky, but I can't wait to begin the adventure and start teaching!"
- Value and Flexibility of a Nyack School of Education Degree within and beyond the K-12 Classroom
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Browse Blog Archive>>