Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Charles Awasu publishes Sociology paper
Dr. Charles Awasu, Chair of the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice, published a paper in the African Journal of Education and Technology, Volume 1 Number 3 (2011).
Dr. Awasu’s paper, “Prevailing Against the Odds of Dropping Out of Schools in Ghana,” was co-written with Dr. Cynthia Akorfa Sottie, Lecturer of Social Work at the University of Ghana.
This paper examines factors that affect school dropout at the basic level of education in Ghana. The study focuses on the experiences of students, parents, teachers and welfare workers. Weak family support, poor academic performance, poor school quality and low value of education, is identified as important to children’s stay in school. It is observed that some children prevail against the odds and remain in school while others drop out. Resilience is identified as an important factor that could enhance the capacity of at-risk student to stay in school despite adverse circumstances. The study recommends research on the underlying processes that foster personal resilience in school age children from disadvantaged backgrounds in Ghana.
For more Information: http://www.sachajournals.com/documents/SOTTIEA002.pdf
- Dr. Danaher publishes essay in Oneing
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Student Success Serves Spring Valley Community
- Communications Senior Contributes to NyackNewsAndViews
- Dr. Washington Publishes Case Study
- Arts & Sciences Welcomes and Celebrates Student Success
- Arts & Sciences Participate in Faculty Retreat
- Dr. Yu Receives Columbia University Grant
- Adjunct D'Agusto continues art exhibitions success
- Browse Blog Archive>>