Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Gates and Nyack Honors Students present paper
Dr. Jonathan Gates, Chair of the Department of English, along with several Honors Delegates presented a paper at the 2011 National Collegiate Honors Conference in Phoenix, AZ
Each year over 2000 Honors Program directors, faculty, and students from across the United States gather to present student and faculty research, best honors practices, and explore timely issues at the National Collegiate Honors Conference. After years of success having poster projects selected through a highly competitive process, the Nyack College Honor’s program submitted their proposal for a General Session presentation and it was selected!
Dr. Gates, along with Honors Program students Courtney Soucek and Stephanie Leone co-presented “Beyond a Game: Creating an Immigration Simulation.” The conference program describes the presentation as follows: “Challenged to create a learning experience that would enable students far removed from the realities of illegal immigration to grapple with the impact of US policies and practices, the Nyack College Honors Program has developed a creative student-directed immigration simulation activity.”
The three co-presenters described and explained the year-long process of developing and conducting the simulation. During the presentation, the panel provided attendees with the design, challenges, and successes which prompted further questions and discussion. Upon their return, the Nyack Honors delegates reported the conference experience at the Honors Seminar to inspire and to inform current Honors students with an eye towards encouraging them to prepare for next year’s conference in Boston, MA.
For more information: http://www.nchchonors.org/2011-conference/NCHC-2011-program-final.pdf
- Dr. Arzola publishes anthology
- Alpha Chi Honor Society Rockland Chapter inducts 21 new members
- Dr. Lux publishes article on narrative theory
- Dr. Dueck publishes on religious exclusivism & diversity
- The Fine Print is Released!
- Dr. Arzola Lectures at Nyack Public Library for Poetry Month
- Dr. Romaine publishes essay in ArtWay
- Dr. Park lectures at Battery Park City Parks Conservancy
- Dr. Washington & Dr. Park Recognized as NAE Fellows
- Social Work partners with alternative-to-incarceration youth program
- Dr. Balmaceda leads discussion on mothers in prison
- Dr. Huster initiates Physics of Waves & Sound
- Dr. Arzola lectures on Pablo Neruda
- Social Work hosts "The New Jim Crow" discussion
- Dr. Danaher publishes "The Second Truth"
- Browse Blog Archive>>