Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Gates and Nyack Honors Students present paper
Dr. Jonathan Gates, Chair of the Department of English, along with several Honors Delegates presented a paper at the 2011 National Collegiate Honors Conference in Phoenix, AZ
Each year over 2000 Honors Program directors, faculty, and students from across the United States gather to present student and faculty research, best honors practices, and explore timely issues at the National Collegiate Honors Conference. After years of success having poster projects selected through a highly competitive process, the Nyack College Honor’s program submitted their proposal for a General Session presentation and it was selected!
Dr. Gates, along with Honors Program students Courtney Soucek and Stephanie Leone co-presented “Beyond a Game: Creating an Immigration Simulation.” The conference program describes the presentation as follows: “Challenged to create a learning experience that would enable students far removed from the realities of illegal immigration to grapple with the impact of US policies and practices, the Nyack College Honors Program has developed a creative student-directed immigration simulation activity.”
The three co-presenters described and explained the year-long process of developing and conducting the simulation. During the presentation, the panel provided attendees with the design, challenges, and successes which prompted further questions and discussion. Upon their return, the Nyack Honors delegates reported the conference experience at the Honors Seminar to inspire and to inform current Honors students with an eye towards encouraging them to prepare for next year’s conference in Boston, MA.
For more information: http://www.nchchonors.org/2011-conference/NCHC-2011-program-final.pdf
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Dr. Poston publishes review
- A&S well represented in Class Act
- Dr. Poston contributes in Handbook of Religion
- Dr. Danaher publishes essay in Oneing
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Browse Blog Archive>>