Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Balmaceda addresses peacemakers
Dr. Balmaceda participated in the Annual Peacemakers Conference in Orlando, FLorida on September 21-25. She lead two workshop sessions on the following topics:
1. A Justice that Heals
Can hatred be replaced by understanding, empathy and forgiveness? What processes can facilitate such a transformation?
In this workshop Dr. Balmaceda examined the role of restorative circles in dealing with conflict. In light of the many Scripture passages that demand those who have caused harm to take responsibility for their actions (and/or omissions), restorative circles provide an opportunity for a facilitated conversation that is honest and intense, with an emphasis in uncovering the root of the problem, admitting the wrongdoing, seeking forgiveness and identifying the steps necessary to repair the harm, in order to rebuild lives, relationships and communities. By observing the potential and limitations of the restorative approach, the workshop leader and the participants considered how justice and forgiveness can promote genuine accountability and transform severe conflict into cooperation and healing.
2. The Role of Justice in Peacemaking, with Chip Zimmer, Vice-President for Global Ministries.
Justice is one of God's defining characteristics and, as Christians, we are called to pursue justice. What is justice and how do we understand it in the context of peacemaking? This workshop explored these questions analyzing the different aspects of the concept of justice as an integral part of shalom, with the purpose of integrating a biblical understanding of justice into peacemakers' work.
Conference Program: http://www.peacemakerconference.net/workshops/
- Dr. Arzola publishes anthology
- Alpha Chi Honor Society Rockland Chapter inducts 21 new members
- Dr. Lux publishes article on narrative theory
- Dr. Dueck publishes on religious exclusivism & diversity
- The Fine Print is Released!
- Dr. Arzola Lectures at Nyack Public Library for Poetry Month
- Dr. Romaine publishes essay in ArtWay
- Dr. Park lectures at Battery Park City Parks Conservancy
- Dr. Washington & Dr. Park Recognized as NAE Fellows
- Social Work partners with alternative-to-incarceration youth program
- Dr. Balmaceda leads discussion on mothers in prison
- Dr. Huster initiates Physics of Waves & Sound
- Dr. Arzola lectures on Pablo Neruda
- Social Work hosts "The New Jim Crow" discussion
- Dr. Danaher publishes "The Second Truth"
- Browse Blog Archive>>