Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Reflections on the 2011 Arts & Sciences Faculty Retreat by Prof. Christine Warrington
A sun-drenched winter day…a drive through the snow-laden Hudson Valley…
the elegance and ambiance of an historical mansion... and a host of friends, both old and new. Could there be a better setting for our Faculty Retreat?
We were fortunate to have as our speaker, Fr. John Behr, a renowned patristics scholar, who presented illuminating and dynamic teaching. He invited us to approach the mystery of Christ as his disciples did: through encountering Him in the breaking of the bread and the searching of the scriptures. He brought the early Church Father, Melito’s, On Pascha to life for us with his insight into and explanation of that Paschal liturgy. With clarity and humor, Fr. John engaged and challenged us.
There was time set aside for prayer, contemplation, praise, and worship. We gathered around a grand banquet table for a lovingly prepared lunch and lively fellowship. There was even time in the day for some comic relief with a round of “Taboo.”
The Retreat ended with a prayer session in the serene Prayer Room, as we prayed for one another’s special intentions. It was truly a day of renewal and refreshment, and we left that place feeling truly uplifted and ready for a new semester.
Christine Warrington, Department of English
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Dr. Poston reviews book on South Indian Cosmology
- Dr. Balmaceda publishes article in Journal of Latin American Theology
- Dr. Romaine Lectures at Mockingbird Conference
- Fourth Annual Student Research Conference
- Dr. Romaine to deliver keynote address at The Schoenhals Sumposium
- Dr. Kaluka publishes article in Biochemistry journal
- Congratulations on A&S Faculty Promotions
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Yu
- Percie McLain joins A&S as Administrative Coordinator
- Dr. Park initiates Nyack College Fishing Club
- Dr. Yu publishes review in Sociology of Religion
- Dr. Park joins BIOL-O-GEE R.A.P. TEAM
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Browse Blog Archive>>