Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
2010-2011 Arts & Sciences Faculty Retreat - Part 1
January 13, 2011
Theme: Lessons from the Early Church Centuries
Aim: The aim of the 2011 Arts and Sciences retreat is to 1) provide space for fellowship among the Arts and Sciences Faculty and 2) to explore the world of early Christianity and reflect on what
it offers Christian scholars today.
Purpose: To help us to more intentionally build community among the Arts and Sciences faculty and more deeply reflect on the ministry of teaching and its unique incarnation at Nyack College.
Speaker: Rev. John Behr, D.Phil. in Theology, Oxford University. Rev. Behr is Dean and Professor of Patristics at St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary.
Text: Melito of Sardis, On Pascha (Crestwood: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2000).
Place: Stony Point Center, Stony Point, NY - www.stonypointcenter.org
"A sun-drenched winter day…a drive through the snow-laden Hudson Valley…
the elegance and ambiance of an historical mansion... and a host of friends, both old and new. Could there be a better setting for our Faculty Retreat?
We were fortunate to have as our speaker, Fr. John Behr, a renowned patristics scholar, who presented illuminating and dynamic teaching. He invited us to approach the mystery of Christ as his disciples did: through encountering Him in the breaking of the bread and the searching of the scriptures. He brought the early Church Father, Melito’s, On Pascha to life for us with his insight into and explanation of that Paschal liturgy. With clarity and humor, Fr. John engaged and challenged us.
There was time set aside for prayer, contemplation, praise, and worship. We gathered around a grand banquet table for a lovingly prepared lunch and lively fellowship. There was even time in the day for some comic relief with a round of “Taboo.”
The Retreat ended with a prayer session in the serene Prayer Room, as we prayed for one another’s special intentions. It was truly a day of renewal and refreshment, and we left that place feeling truly uplifted and ready for a new semester."
Christine Warrington, Department of English
- Fourth Annual Student Research Conference
- Dr. Romaine to deliver keynote address at The Schoenhals Sumposium
- Dr. Kaluka publishes article in Biochemistry journal
- Congratulations on A&S Faculty Promotions
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Yu
- Percie McLain joins A&S as Administrative Coordinator
- Dr. Park initiates Nyack College Fishing Club
- Dr. Yu publishes review in Sociology of Religion
- Dr. Park joins BIOL-O-GEE R.A.P. TEAM
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Browse Blog Archive>>