Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Social Work hosts "The New Jim Crow" discussion
The Department of Social Work at the NYC campus premiered the Catalyst for Compassion Book Club with a discussion on Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.
The Rev. Ruben Austria, Director of Community Connections for Youth, participated in the inaugural event. CCFY is a New-York based nonprofit organization whose mission is to mobilize indigenous faith and neighborhood organizations to develop effective community-based alternative-to-incarceration programs for youth.
The Catalyst for Compassion Book Club is a forum for professionals, educators, and students who seek to be catalysts promoting a just and caring society with compassion by integrating their Christian faith and social work practice. Its purpose is to facilitate critical thinking and discussion of crucial and current issues through reading and discussing relevant books.
The book club coordinators are David Fritz, LMSW, Marcia Herrera, LMSW, Kwi Yun, PhD, Delia Kim, MSW, Brian D. Roland, PhD and Percie McLain, BSW
For more information on the book: http://newjimcrow.com/
For more information on CCFY: http://cc-fy.org/
- Dr. Romaine Lectures at Mockingbird Conference
- Fourth Annual Student Research Conference
- Dr. Romaine to deliver keynote address at The Schoenhals Sumposium
- Dr. Kaluka publishes article in Biochemistry journal
- Congratulations on A&S Faculty Promotions
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Yu
- Percie McLain joins A&S as Administrative Coordinator
- Dr. Park initiates Nyack College Fishing Club
- Dr. Yu publishes review in Sociology of Religion
- Dr. Park joins BIOL-O-GEE R.A.P. TEAM
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Browse Blog Archive>>