Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Yu examines Korean immigrants in Hawaiian plantations
Posted by Fernando.Arzola on Thursday September 12, 2013
Dr. Kale Yu, Assistant Profesor of History, publishes essay in the journal from the Center for Pacific and Asian American Ministries (CPAAM) at Claremont School of Theology in Pasadena, CA. This journal article explores life on the Hawaiian plantations in the period 1905-1945, through the lives of Korean immigrants and their children, spanning the era from the tumultuous fall of Korea's last kingdom through the Interwar War years and into World War II. Their lives and history encompassed two of the most significant changes for this first generation of Korean immigrants: the conversion to Christianity, and the impact of the fall of Korea under Japanese colonization.
The lives of Koreans on the Hawaiian plantations illuminate the nature of the anxieties they experienced, and reveal the patterns of church communities that served as focal points of not only their religious devotion but also political mobilization and activities. This article explores the ways in which Korean church communities in Hawaii were influenced by nationalistic sentiment, and vice versa. As the local church became the center of the Korean community, the church also embraced policies of Korean self-determinism and movement toward independence.
For more information on the center:
Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Student Success Serves Spring Valley Community
- Communications Senior Contributes to NyackNewsAndViews
- Dr. Washington Publishes Case Study
- Arts & Sciences Welcomes and Celebrates Student Success
- Arts & Sciences Participate in Faculty Retreat
- Dr. Yu Receives Columbia University Grant
- Adjunct D'Agusto continues art exhibitions success
- Dr. Yu Honored by Wheaton's Institute of American Evangelicals
- Browse Blog Archive>>