Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Huster publishes article & leads workshop
In May, Dr. Kim Huster, Director of English as a Second Language, published an article in the CATESOL Journal. Her article, Biliterate Voices of Hmong Generation 1.5 College Women: Suspended between Languages in the US Educational Experience was a featured article in a special themed edition which focused on US-Educated Multilingual Students and College Writing. The article was based on a narrative research study with 13 Hmong students at Simpson University in California. Dr. Huster’s article culminates in three suggestions for supporting multilingual students: establishing and equipping the teacher as an agent for social change, promoting critical multiculturalism in the classroom, and legitimizing and giving voice to the minority experience in the classroom.
For further information, see http://www.catesol.org/CJ24_TOC.pdf
On June 8th, Dr. Huster and Diana Nygard, adjunct ESL professor and administrative assistant in the School of Education, conducted a workshop for volunteer ESL teachers in a community ESL program at New Life Fellowship Church in Elmhurst, Queens. Among other community outreaches, New Life provides ESL classes for members of the community. The goal of the ESL program is to provide accessible, high-quality ESL instruction.
All of the teachers in the program serve on a volunteer basis, and many of the teachers have little formal training in teaching ESL. In order to serve their students better, they enthusiastically welcomed the workshop as a way of developing their teaching skills and increasing their understanding of the needs of their immigrant students. Topics for the 3 hour workshop included Creating a Comfortable Environment for ESL Students, Lesson Planning and Practice, and Classroom Tips and Strategies.
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Dr. Poston publishes review
- A&S well represented in Class Act
- Dr. Poston contributes in Handbook of Religion
- Dr. Danaher publishes essay in Oneing
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Browse Blog Archive>>