Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Kim Huster publishes article on Hmong Women
Dr. Kim Huster, Assistant Professor of ESL, recently published an article in the Hmong Studies Journal entitled “The Grammar and Vocabulary Challenges of Generation 1.5 Hmong College Women in Academia.” The Generation 1.5, comprised of students from long-term immigrant communities in which English is not the primary language of communication, is a growing presence in American colleges, and its constituents experience unique academic challenges. Using data from her narrative research study, Dr. Huster explores some of the language challenges faced by linguistically diverse students in general and Hmong students in particular.
The Hmong Studies Journal is an interdisciplinary peer-reviewed publication which has established itself as the most authoritative and widely-cited scholarly journal for academic studies related to the Hmong diaspora and Hmong culture and history.
The article can be found at http://hmongstudies.org/HusterHSJ13.pdf.
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Dr. Poston publishes review
- A&S well represented in Class Act
- Dr. Poston contributes in Handbook of Religion
- Dr. Danaher publishes essay in Oneing
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Student Success Serves Spring Valley Community
- Communications Senior Contributes to NyackNewsAndViews
- Dr. Washington Publishes Case Study
- Browse Blog Archive>>