Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Writing Center hosts first annual conference
Nyack College Writing Center
First Annual Peer Writing Consultant Training Conference 2012
We are coaches, encouragers, developers, creators of environments in which our students can experience the writing process for themselves. Donald Murray
The First Annual Peer Writing Consultant Conference was held on August 27, 2012 at the NYC campus. Peer Writing Consultants from all three of our centers (NYC undergraduate, Rockland undergraduate, and Rockland ATS) were brought together for a day of training, encouragement and presentations on the work of the writing center. Beverley Locke, Director of Writing Center, addressed Donald Murray’s focus on the work that we do as the “coaches” of writing, and also reminded the attendees that this type of work takes patience, and the ability to “listen carefully” to and for our student’s voice.
The morning session began with an interactive workshop entitled “Working with ESL Students,” facilitated by Dr. Kimberly Huster, the Director of ESL. Dr. Elaine Lux, Professor of English, presented on "Writing in the Humanities," with a focus on the essentials of proofreading and editing. Dr. Stephen Maret, Professor of Psychology, presented on "Writing in the Social Sciences," with an emphasis on the APA Format and its expectations.
During the afternoon session, two of Nyack's graduate consultants from the NYC campus presented their research and work in the writing center. Richard Dubose explored “The Writing Center in a Ministry Context,” and Alicia Wu addressed “The Writing Consultation: A Ministry of Words.” Both presentations tied in the value of seeing the work that we do in the writing center through new eyes; ones of service, and ones through which we see ourselves as guides in the writing process.
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Student Success Serves Spring Valley Community
- Communications Senior Contributes to NyackNewsAndViews
- Dr. Washington Publishes Case Study
- Arts & Sciences Welcomes and Celebrates Student Success
- Arts & Sciences Participate in Faculty Retreat
- Dr. Yu Receives Columbia University Grant
- Adjunct D'Agusto continues art exhibitions success
- Dr. Yu Honored by Wheaton's Institute of American Evangelicals
- Nyack to Partner with Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
- Dr. Poston Reviews Book on Second Chinese Enlightenment
- Dr. Romaine Co-edits Art History Text
- Dr. Lux presents at American University in Paris
- 2014 Arts & Sciences Faculty Retreat Announced
- Browse Blog Archive>>