Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Lux explores trauma in literature
At the academic conference “Brooklyn Aesthetics,” at St. Francis College, Brooklyn, NY, on April 21, 2012, Dr. Elaine Lux presented a paper entitled “The Voice of Trauma: Narrative Healing in Jonathan Safron Foer. ” Jonathan Safran Foer is a contemporary novelist who lives in Brooklyn and has dealt with, in fiction and nonfiction, traumas in the WWII Holocaust, the 9/11 attack, and the contemporary treatment of animals in factory farming (inhumane overcrowded breeding situations). Foer’s fictional works Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close have been made into films, and a film is being planned for his nonfiction work Eating Animals.
Approximately 30 Nyack students attended the conference, and they enjoyed the fine educational experience, a complimentary lunch and waived conference registration fees, and an opportunity for extra credit in their English courses. This outside-the-classroom enrichment was just what the keynote speaker, Dr. Brenda Greene, advocated for the enrichment of student learning in our time (Dr. Greene is Executive Director of the Center for Black Literature and Professor of English, Medgar Evers College).
Many thanks to St. Francis College and conference coordinator Dr. Wendy Galgan for extending generous hospitality to our undergraduate students.
For more information:
- Dr, Yu Honored by Wheaton's Institute of American Evangelicals
- Nyack to Partner with Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
- Dr. Poston Reviews Book on Second Chinese Enlightenment
- Dr. Romaine Co-edits Art History Text
- Dr. Lux presents at American University in Paris
- 2014 Arts & Sciences Faculty Retreat Announced
- Dr. Larry Poston & Dean Poston Examine Media & Religion
- English Prof Oversees Historic Eatery
- Dr. Poston Publishes Chapter on Muslim Americans
- Adjunct D'Agusto wins Art Competition
- Social Work Student Honored at Educational Event
- 2014 A&S Faculty Awards
- Dr. Danaher interviewed on The Christian Post
- NYC Writing Center offers ALST Workshop to Education Candidates
- Dr. Poston publishes two book reviews
- Browse Blog Archive>>