Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Lux explores trauma in literature
At the academic conference “Brooklyn Aesthetics,” at St. Francis College, Brooklyn, NY, on April 21, 2012, Dr. Elaine Lux presented a paper entitled “The Voice of Trauma: Narrative Healing in Jonathan Safron Foer. ” Jonathan Safran Foer is a contemporary novelist who lives in Brooklyn and has dealt with, in fiction and nonfiction, traumas in the WWII Holocaust, the 9/11 attack, and the contemporary treatment of animals in factory farming (inhumane overcrowded breeding situations). Foer’s fictional works Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close have been made into films, and a film is being planned for his nonfiction work Eating Animals.
Approximately 30 Nyack students attended the conference, and they enjoyed the fine educational experience, a complimentary lunch and waived conference registration fees, and an opportunity for extra credit in their English courses. This outside-the-classroom enrichment was just what the keynote speaker, Dr. Brenda Greene, advocated for the enrichment of student learning in our time (Dr. Greene is Executive Director of the Center for Black Literature and Professor of English, Medgar Evers College).
Many thanks to St. Francis College and conference coordinator Dr. Wendy Galgan for extending generous hospitality to our undergraduate students.
For more information:
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Dr. Poston reviews book on South Indian Cosmology
- Dr. Balmaceda publishes article in Journal of Latin American Theology
- Dr. Romaine Lectures at Mockingbird Conference
- Fourth Annual Student Research Conference
- Dr. Romaine to deliver keynote address at The Schoenhals Sumposium
- Dr. Kaluka publishes article in Biochemistry journal
- Congratulations on A&S Faculty Promotions
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Yu
- Percie McLain joins A&S as Administrative Coordinator
- Dr. Park initiates Nyack College Fishing Club
- Dr. Yu publishes review in Sociology of Religion
- Dr. Park joins BIOL-O-GEE R.A.P. TEAM
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Browse Blog Archive>>