Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Social Work senior speaks at Women Veterans of Hudson Valley
Over the years, our Social Work department at Nyack College has been fortunate to teach and mentor diverse and remarkable students. One such student is Solange Delmar, a social work senior at the New York City campus. She immigrated to the United States from Trinidad in 1990. After graduating from high school, she worked in the Civilian sector. She joined the United States Army in 1999 and has been deployed to Iraq twice. She currently serves as a Human Resource Staff Sergeant in the New York Army National Guard.
As a result of her excellent service and dedication to the United States Army, Ms. Delmar was awarded three Army Achievement and Commendation medals, two Good Conduct Medals, and the Iraqi Campaign and Expeditionary medal. In 2010, she was awarded the New York Army National Guard Black History Month honor for her excellence in leadership and community service.
Ms. Delmar spoke at an event organized by the Women Veterans of Hudson Valley, a not-for-profit organization, at the Holiday Inn in Orangeburg New York on March 31st. In keeping with Women’s History Month, the event aimed to honor all women veterans.
The audience was in tears as Ms. Delmar spoke about her struggles as a soldier, her deployments, and her transition into civilian life. Through it all, she has found the courage to persevere. SSG Delmar stated it best when she ended her speech with, “I am honored to be among a group of valiant women and men, who have stood in the ranks of the strong and brave. Sometimes our values and bravery keep us from talking about issues we face during and after war, so I am elated that this organization is educating and bringing awareness,” a statement that echoes in the hearts of many veterans.
Solange Delmar will graduate with a Bachelors of Science in Social Work (BSSW) degree on May 5, 2012. She is planning to pursue her Masters in Social Work (MSW) degree with a concentration in Leadership and Macro practice at Fordham University.
- Dr, Yu Honored by Wheaton's Institute of American Evangelicals
- Nyack to Partner with Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
- Dr. Poston Reviews Book on Second Chinese Enlightenment
- Dr. Romaine Co-edits Art History Text
- Dr. Lux presents at American University in Paris
- 2014 Arts & Sciences Faculty Retreat Announced
- Dr. Larry Poston & Dean Poston Examine Media & Religion
- English Prof Oversees Historic Eatery
- Dr. Poston Publishes Chapter on Muslim Americans
- Adjunct D'Agusto wins Art Competition
- Social Work Student Honored at Educational Event
- 2014 A&S Faculty Awards
- Dr. Danaher interviewed on The Christian Post
- NYC Writing Center offers ALST Workshop to Education Candidates
- Dr. Poston publishes two book reviews
- Browse Blog Archive>>