Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Prof. McDuffie to lecture at The Nyack Library
The Nyack Library will host its new Nyack College Spring Lecture Series, a monthly event beginning in March at the branch located at 59 South Broadway in Nyack.
“The Sound of One Hand Clapping” featuring Prof. Brad McDuffie is scheduled for Monday, March 19 from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. in the Community/Meeting Room. His presentation will be an overview of the short-story cycle in literature and will explore some of its major ideas, works, and themes. McDuffie will also discuss J. D. Salinger’s, Nine Stories, and how it functions as a short-story cycle. His book Teaching Salinger’s Nine Stories was published in the fall of 2011 by New Street Communications, LLC.
What people are saying about Prof. McDuffie’s book…
“In Teaching Salinger’s Nine Stories, Brad McDuffie ... provides an examination of Salinger’s Nine Stories that is forensically detailed and thought provoking. The book’s greatest value may be in its ability to display the interaction between each separate story, revealing Salinger’s Nine Stories to be a unified work of art. This achievement is long overdue and is an innovative and invaluable resource.” - Kenneth Slawenski, author of J. D. Salinger: A Life
“This study is the most thorough and close reading that we have on Salinger's Nine Stories." James Finn Cotter, Professor of English, Mount Saint Mary College
For more information, contact the library at 845.358.3370 or visit http://nyacklibrary.org/
- Dr. Arzola publishes anthology
- Alpha Chi Honor Society Rockland Chapter inducts 21 new members
- Dr. Lux publishes article on narrative theory
- Dr. Dueck publishes on religious exclusivism & diversity
- The Fine Print is Released!
- Dr. Arzola Lectures at Nyack Public Library for Poetry Month
- Dr. Romaine publishes essay in ArtWay
- Dr. Park lectures at Battery Park City Parks Conservancy
- Dr. Washington & Dr. Park Recognized as NAE Fellows
- Social Work partners with alternative-to-incarceration youth program
- Dr. Balmaceda leads discussion on mothers in prison
- Dr. Huster initiates Physics of Waves & Sound
- Dr. Arzola lectures on Pablo Neruda
- Social Work hosts "The New Jim Crow" discussion
- Dr. Danaher publishes "The Second Truth"
- Browse Blog Archive>>