Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Prof. McDuffie to lecture at The Nyack Library
The Nyack Library will host its new Nyack College Spring Lecture Series, a monthly event beginning in March at the branch located at 59 South Broadway in Nyack.
“The Sound of One Hand Clapping” featuring Prof. Brad McDuffie is scheduled for Monday, March 19 from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. in the Community/Meeting Room. His presentation will be an overview of the short-story cycle in literature and will explore some of its major ideas, works, and themes. McDuffie will also discuss J. D. Salinger’s, Nine Stories, and how it functions as a short-story cycle. His book Teaching Salinger’s Nine Stories was published in the fall of 2011 by New Street Communications, LLC.
What people are saying about Prof. McDuffie’s book…
“In Teaching Salinger’s Nine Stories, Brad McDuffie ... provides an examination of Salinger’s Nine Stories that is forensically detailed and thought provoking. The book’s greatest value may be in its ability to display the interaction between each separate story, revealing Salinger’s Nine Stories to be a unified work of art. This achievement is long overdue and is an innovative and invaluable resource.” - Kenneth Slawenski, author of J. D. Salinger: A Life
“This study is the most thorough and close reading that we have on Salinger's Nine Stories." James Finn Cotter, Professor of English, Mount Saint Mary College
For more information, contact the library at 845.358.3370 or visit http://nyacklibrary.org/
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Dr. Poston publishes review
- A&S well represented in Class Act
- Dr. Poston contributes in Handbook of Religion
- Dr. Danaher publishes essay in Oneing
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Browse Blog Archive>>