Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Spring Lectures at The Nyack Library
Monday, March 19, 2012 (7:00pm to 9:00pm)
“The Sound of One Hand Clapping”
The Short-Story Cycle & J. D. Salinger’s Nine Stories
Prof. Brad McDuffie
This lecture will provide an overview of the short-story cycle in literature. and explore some of its major ideas, works, and themes. It will then focus on J. D. Salinger’s “second masterpiece,” Nine Stories, and how it functions as a short-story cycle. Prof. Brad McDuffie is Lecturer of English. He recently published, Teaching Salinger’s Nine Stories.
Monday, April 23, 2012 (12:00pm to 2:00pm)
Restorative Justice: Confronting the Limitations of the Criminal Justice System
Dr.Vilma Balmaceda, Ph.D.
Can the criminal justice system contribute to build societies that are more peaceful and just? This lecture will focus on the principles of restorative justice in dialog with the challenges and limitations of the model of criminal justice that prevails around the world. Dr. Vilma Balmaceda is the Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement and Associate Professor of Political Science.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012 (7:00pm to 8:30pm)
Who was Vincent van Gogh?
Dr. James Romaine, Ph.D.
Despite the wealth of documentation about Vincent van Gogh, some controversies about his life and art persist in the popular imagination. Dr. Romaine will explore the insights of a recently published biography about van Gogh which stirs new debates. Dr. James Romaine is Associate Professor of Art History and Chair of the Department of Art History at Nyack College.
59 South Broadway, Nyack NY 10960 ~ Community/Meeting Room ~ 845.358.3370
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Dr. Poston publishes review
- A&S well represented in Class Act
- Dr. Poston contributes in Handbook of Religion
- Dr. Danaher publishes essay in Oneing
- Dr. Yu examines churches during WWI
- Dr. Poston reviews book on "The American Muhammed"
- Dr. Parker-Ames publishes research article
- Dr. Kaluka publishes paper in PNAS
- "Forgive Us" Book Event & Panel Discussion
- Prof. McDuffie Publishes Poem
- Dr. Park leads fish survey for BioBlitz at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Browse Blog Archive>>