School of Social Work
Social Work Internships/Field Experience
In the second semester of the Junior year, students engage in a field experience combined with pre-practice seminar (SWK 357 Field Experience). Students are required to work at social service agencies at least 60 hours for their field experience.
During the Senior year, students take two field instruction courses over the year, working about 400 hours at social service agencies under the supervision of a professional social worker. It is combined with 8 hours of field instruction seminar. Placement begins in September and ends in May.
In December* of the Junior year, students must apply for the Senior year Field Education Program** by submitting the following materials to the Field Coordinator:
- Three copies of the Field Education Program Application
- A current resume attached to each copy of the application
- A current transcript attached to one copy of the application
Director of Field Education
Field Education Coordinator
*Field Education Program applications are to be submitted no later than December 7, 2015.
**Field Education is available to Social Work Majors only.
In order to enter the Field Education Program in the senior year, students must have completed the following courses and attained a minimum of a 2.5 overall average in completed social work courses in the junior year:
- SWK 242 Social Work and Christianity
- SWK 314 Human Behavior in the Social Environment I
- SWK 324 Foundations of Social Justice
- SWK 354 Human Behavior in the Social Environment II
- SWK 355 Social Welfare Policy and Services
- SWK 357 Field Experience
Further information on Field Education and Internships can be found in the Field Education Manual.